The Alexandria Testing Center is now conveniently locating on the first floor of
the Bisdorf Bldg. Our location puts you just steps away from the Finance and
Business Offices, Student Services and the Student Life Center. We’re excited
to be apart of the team and welcome you to pop in and tour our location.
Room 156 in the Bisdorf Bldg
Thanks for your patience during our move.
The Testing Center is moving effective 28 July.
We are still providing testing services in room 332 until Monday, 27 July, 8:00 p.m.
If you’ve been on the Northern Virginia Community College website lately, you should have seen a few changes. With the new designs has come a few other changes as well. Our website has changed and the links to our hours and blogs aren’t present. While these items are being worked on we’d like to provide this information for your convenience.
Enjoy your summer and keep learning!
Monday -Thursday 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 pm
Friday 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Saturday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
ELI/Faculty Make-Up exams must start 1 hour before closing.
Placement Exams must start 2 hours before closing.
All testing ends 15 minutes prior to closing.
December 24, 2014 – January 4, 2015
Did you know the Alexandria Testing Center offers proctoring services for some 26 community colleges that make up the Virginia Community College System? We have many students that take classes online or actually in the classroom environment from other schools. Oftentimes these students aren’t able to travel to their host school for exams, this is where we step in and assist. Visit our webpage and review the guidelines for having an exam proctored at the Alexandria Testing Center. We could save you time, gas and $$$!
Need to take a test? Here’s the parking info you need to know…
Avoid lines by buying a permit online and get a $10 discount! Student “B” permits can be purchased online for $80.
STUDENT PARKING ON CAMPUS IN “B” LOTS IS NOW FREE AFTER 4 p.m. on weekdays and on weekends at any time!
AL CAMPUS 9/11 DAY of Remembrance and Service
Please join us tomorrow morning in observance of 9/11 Day of Service and Remembrance.
At 9:37 a.m., a moment of silence will be held and a peace pole will be dedicated.
Sponsored by SGA, the theme of “I will” will be voiced throughout the day.
The 3rd- 12 Week Session for Extended Learning Institute classes start September 17th
and 2nd – 8 Week Session for Campus Classes start on October 14th, so there is still time to take your Math and English Placement test.
Visit the Testing webpage for requirements and procedures for the Placement test
To support the college wide Extended Hours starting
August 11th, the Testing Center will be open as follow:
August 11-14th 8:30 a.m.-9:00 p.m.
August 18-21st 8:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
August 16 & 23 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Our Saturday hours will remain the same 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Visit our website for specific details regarding each test you wish to take. All exams are collected 15 minutes prior to closing.
In 9 short days summer session will be over and you’ll be off to enjoy beaches, vacations, friends and family. Our focus at the testing center is to ensure you have the best testing experience possible when you visit us. To that end, please come prepared. We URGE you not to wait until August 9th to visit a testing center. As December 24th is to Christmas; August 9th is to the summer session, the busiest and most frustrating day in the Testing Center.
So our hats are off to your success. Plan ahead, study, test on the 7th or 8th of August. There’s a beach awaits!!!
The Testing Center will be temporarily closed for a Department Meeting.
Congratulations your First 6-weeks session is coming to an end. Take this time to organize your notes, contact instructors to ensure you haven’t missed any assignments, and form your study groups.
On test taking day:
- Multiple-choice: Don’t rush. On multiple-choice items, force yourself to read each possible choice carefully before selecting an answer. Remember, some choices appear correct at first glance but tum out to be wrong when you take a closer look. When in doubLguess! If the test does not penalize guessing, be sure that you write in a response for each test item, even if you don’t know the answer.
- Skip difficult items until last. On timed tests, you should avoid getting bogged down on difficult items that can cause you to use up all of your time. Instead, when you find yourself stumped on a tough test item, skip it and go on to other problems. After you have finished all of the easiest test items, you can return to any skipped questions and try to answer them. 14. Use leftover time to check answers.
Are you aware that there are Six New Policy Changes for Fall 2014?
The Testing Center staff is here to assist you in meeting 1 of those requirements. We administer the Virginia Math and English Placement Test daily. Visit our testing website for times and guidelines before testing. You may also want to take the practice test which has proven to be helpful.
We’ve increased our Saturday hours just for YOU!
8:30- 4:30 pm
Hours of Operations
Monday – Thursday
9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Friday – Saturday
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
We will be closed May 24-26, 2014
Please visit the website for specific details before coming to the Testing Center.
The Testing Center is closed today until 5:00 p.m.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Due to relocation and construction
concerns Testing Center is CLOSED and will reopen
on Monday, July 20th @ 9:00 a.m.
in room 332.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
DURING THE TEST
There are also some things to keep in mind when you are TAKING the test.
- First, read the directions carefully!! Many points have been lost because students didn’t follow the directions.
- Remember to preview the test to see how much time you need to allot for each section. If the test is all multiple choice questions, it is good to know that immediately.
- Work on the “easiest” parts first. If your strength is essay questions, answer those first to get the maximum points. Pace yourself to allow time for the more difficult parts.
- Find out if you are penalized for incorrect responses. (This is probably covered in the directions. If not, make educated guesses. If there is a penalty, avoid guessing.
- When answering essay questions, try to make an outline in the margin before you begin writing. Organization, clear thinking, and good writing is important, but so is neatness. Be sure to make your writing legible.
- Save time at the end of the exam to review your test and make sure you haven’t left out any answers.
The Testing Center will have modified testing hours during the period 11-16 May.
Monday – Thursday 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Friday 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Saturday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Visit the campus website for other details such as cut off times and items to bring to the testing center: