OEMP currently has new training opportunities open to faculty and staff. First, there is an “All-Hazard” online training available in the NOVA Academy. By using an “All-Hazard” approach for what to do when an emergency happens at NOVA, this presentation covers everything from power failures to bomb threats. All employees are encouraged to take this training. If you would like to register for the All-Hazard training, please do so by going to the NOVA Academy. Once there, enter your Login ID and Password, click the “Learning Center” tab at the top of the page, click the “course catalog” link, type in OEMP in the Search box, click on Search, and select NOVA – OEMP: All-Hazard Emergency Response (online) on page two. Next, click on “Access Item” and you will be enrolled in the training.
OEMP will also be offering another C-CERT (Campus Community Emergency Response Team) course this July. If you are you interested in learning more about emergency preparedness, want to do more to help others on campus or in your community during an emergency, and/or would like to be involved with a team helping evacuate a building on campus during a drill and/or an actual fire alarm or assisting others during a Shelter-in-Place event then training is for you!
C-CERT classes will be held from 8:00 AM until 4:30 PM on the following three Fridays: July 11th, July 18th, and July 25th. All classes will be held at the Annandale Campus in Room CA 318. If you are interested in signing up to become a C-CERT volunteer, you must first get your supervisor’s permission. Also, you must commit to attend all three sessions.
Below is the C-CERT job description. Please contact email@example.com if you would like more information or register online by going to the NOVA Academy. Once there, enter your Login ID and Password, click the “Learning Center” tab at the top of the page, click the “course catalog” link, type in OEMP in the Search box, click on Search, and select NOVA – OEMP: C-CERT. Next, click on the NOVA – OEMP: C-CERT near the bottom of the page and then click on enroll on the following page. If you can make it through the enrollment process, you can make it as a C-CERT member!
Job Title: Campus Community and Emergency Response Team (C-C.E.R.T.) Member
Service Area: NOVA Campuses, Centers, and Off-Site Locations
Goal or Purpose of the C-CERT Team Member:
- Learn about and assist in the five phases of emergency management; prevention, mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery
- Assist with special needs issues as related with the five phases of emergency management
- Assist building and floor wardens with general evacuation and shelter-in-place processes
- Provide assistance at State Shelter and State Transfer Point activations, drills, and planning
- Assist with community relations/ distribution of emergency information to the visitors, faculty, staff, and students
- Participate in drills and exercises
- Participate in training and preparedness activities
- Support for emergency management at College planned and unplanned events like presidential visits, Shred It, and Annandale 5k
- Emergency preparedness
Time Commitment: One year (minimum) after completion of a three session training series.
- Excellent listening skills
- Reliable individual with the ability to remain calm during a crisis
- Successful completion of mandatory training
- Successful demonstration in use of assigned equipment
Training and/or Preparation Required: All other training that is not marked mandatory will be offered to volunteers when available.
- C-C.E.R.T. Volunteer Training Curriculum – mandatory
Benefits to Volunteer:
- Gain emergency management skills/experience
- Achieve a great sense of personal accomplishment