Hello CST 110 Students -
Welcome to this Introductory Course to Speech Communication. This class is a HYBRID class which means 50% of all of your work in this class MUST BE COMPLETED online. If you do not have access to the Internet or a computer, you CANNOT possibly take this course and you need to withdraw and sign up for a traditional classroom course. You cannot pass this class without computer access and Internet Access. You also must log onto Blackboard several times a week.
This is a very fun but VERY rigorous class. Do NOT get behind in your assignments. We have 2 Exams, 2 open note Quizzes, 2 oral presentations (one is a group presentation and the other is an individual presentation) and a writing assignment (Presentation Outline). Because we only have 8 weeks to get it all done, knowing your assignment due dates and being prepared are VERY important. Please follow the tips below and you will do great.
Tips to do well in Dr. DeLancey’s CST 110 Class:
1. Come to EVERY class that is scheduled to meet.
2. Participate in EVERY online discussion board question. You get 150 points for this if you do it.
3. Print out your Syllabus and refer to it for DUE DATES everyday. The Syllabus is your course directory. It must be something you look at all the time.
4. Get a Twitter Account and a Facebook account if you don’t already have them. We will be using and discussing social media tools.
5. Get a video teleconferencing capability on your computer; we will use video chats and video responses to Blackboard discussion board questions.
6. Talk to me if you have problems. Never miss a test, quiz, or presentation. Communicate with your instructor if you are having issues. My phone number and email addresses are on the syllabus.
7. Turn all assignments in on time.
8. Study your previous tests and quizzes. You will see all of these questions again on the Final.
9. Be upbeat, positive, try your hardest, work hard, invest your time and get to know your fellow classmates and instructor. Communication is about building personal relationships – let’s build some.
Thank you for enrolling in CST 110… I believe it is one of the best courses you’ll ever take. I’m looking forward to meeting you and learning from each of you.
Toni G. DeLancey, Ph.D