Mock Interview Sessions will resume in the spring semester.
- Select a “job” you are interested in from the list below.
- Get your resume and cover letter ready. (Find tips on how to prepare resumes and cover letters here: https://blogs.nvcc.edu/allegal/career-information/).
- Email Professor McMillan (email@example.com) who will give you the name of the firm. PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CONTACT THE FIRM. This exercise is for educational purposes only.
- Use a search engine such as Google to look up the law firm.
- Search law firm directories at http://www.nalpdirectory.com to learn additional information such as number of lawyers, practice areas, etc.
- Check the firm’s Website to find more specific information such as mission statements, etc.
- Email Professor McMillan who will schedule your face-to-face or telephone interview with a Paralegal Studies faculty or Advisory Committee member.
- Interviews will last approximately 20 minutes and will be followed by tips on how to improve your interview skills.
- Good luck!
1. Legal Clerk Position
Full time opening for an ENTRY LEVEL clerk position at law firm in Virginia. Salary: $10-15 per hour range. Main duties include court runs daily (filing pleadings and other documents, delivering documents to court, commissioner, etc.), relief receptionist work at switchboard and front desk, assistance with a variety of other tasks including exposure to some different areas of law.
This job would be a great fit for someone who needs to work full time while attending classes.
2. Paralegal Position
Law firm in Virginia is seeking a full-time paralegal to serve a 4-attorney firm, primarily working at their Lake Ridge office and occasionally working at their Fairfax office. The firm is seeking someone to support the ongoing civil litigation (mostly Prince William and Fairfax) and criminal practice. The starting salary will be $40,000 a year.
3. Paralegal/Legal Assistant Position
A two attorney based immigration and business law firm is looking for a paralegal/legal assistant. The perfect candidate will have a pleasant manner, an attention to detail and be extremely organized.
The candidate will be required to talk to attorneys and clients on the phone in order to request missing information and documents. You will put together legal documents with the assistance of the attorney and hand deliver the documents to court on a daily basis. You will assist in preparing immigration petitions and business documents. You will also maintain the law firm client files and calendar.
You will be the managing attorney’s gatekeeper and you will attempt to answer questions by phone prior to forwarding to the attorney. You will be responsible for handling the office when the attorneys are not there.
Assist with client intake
Take payments by credit card.
Review and print court documents
Print and Bind documents
Deliver documents to court
Electronically file Documents as required
Scan all paper documents to client files
Assist clients in gathering information
Prepare Immigration Petition Packages
Assist with updating blog posts and social media.
Experience is not necessary but is helpful. We are willing to train. Language skills are a plus especially Arabic because we have a large Arabic speaking clientele. You must read and write English fluently. Hours are 10-5 m-f but are flexible. Salary is $30,000 annually or $15 per hour. 2 weeks paid vacation after initial probation period for salaried employee.
4. Legal Secretary Position
This is a growing law firm with 3 attorneys in Northern Virginia. We are in need of a full-time employee to assist with basic administrative and secretarial tasks.
Answering & transferring phone calls, taking messages
General filing/sorting of documents
Greeting clients, scheduling appointments
Support for office staff/paralegals/attorneys
Previous office experience a plus.
Full-time Monday through Friday, flexible. $12-15/hr. Part-time applicants will also be considered.