Welcome to the Math & Science Center!
While NOVA works during the COVID-19 outbreak, all tutoring appointments at the Math & Science Center will be conducted virtually (online) using Zoom, the video conferencing with real-time messaging and content sharing program accessible through students’ MyNOVA portal. Click below for an appointment request form. After completing and submitting the form you will receive a confirmation email that your appointment has been made. Look for a second email shortly before your appointment containing information on how to join the Zoom meeting with your tutor. You can email the center at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Spring 2020 Tutoring Schedule
The Math & Science Center (MSC) is an academic support center on NOVA’s Annandale Campus. Covering 40-45 select courses in Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Engineering and Accounting each semester, our goal is to provide academic support to students enrolled at the Annandale Campus. The MSC focuses on that support with a diverse group of peer tutors mirroring the campus student population.
Take a 360 Video-Tour of the Math & Science Center!
Use your mouse to drag the screen, and tour the center.
Walk-In TutoringYou are welcome, during posted Center hours, to meet with tutors without an appointment. A schedule detailing when tutors are available is posted at the entrance, and linked to this page. When you arrive, please sign in. There are desktop computers for online work, as well as tables. Tutors then circulate around the Center answering questions from various courses and topics. Textbooks and calculators are available for use, but only in the tutoring center. As you leave, please sign-out to end your session.
Individual / Group StudyIf you need a quiet place to study or if a group of classmates want to meet to discuss coursework, the Math and Science Center is available with the added advantage of tutors being present as a resource. Please contact us to schedule a time.
Software / Computers / OERThe Math and Science Center is equipped with desktop computers and iPads that are available for use within the Center during hours of operation. We provide links to Open Educational Resources for the classes that we support. You may access online homework websites with your passcode, and make use of Microsoft Office.
Class ReviewsTutors can coordinate with faculty members and conduct review sessions prior to exams for most courses for which we support tutoring. Please contact the ASC Coordinator to schedule a time.
OER (Open Educational Resources)
Spring 2020 Tutoring ScheduleClick here for the schedule
What to Expect in a Tutoring Session:
- Tutors will help you with your work. They can assist you in questions that are not related to your grade, such as textbook questions, test review and online homework.
- Tutors will assist you in discovering your learning style -- the most effective way for you to learn.
What Not to Expect in a Tutoring Session:
- Tutors will not do your work for you. Tutors will help you to determine the answers on your own by asking you questions.
- Tutors are not going to teach you the course material. You must attend class, do assigned reading and take notes in class, in order to come prepared to see a tutor.
- We cannot answer questions from unverified sources, or for take-home quizzes and tests, exam corrections, extra credits, and lab report assignments or projects.
- Various classes supported by the Math & Science Center make use of Open Educational Resources (OER). The following links are provided.
MTH 265 Calculus III Books
MTH 267 Differential Equations Book
MTH 288 Discrete Mathematics Books
- Huge help to me, as I was struggling in statistics. –MTH 245 Student
- The tutors are great at explaining, very friendly, and help right away.- CHM 111 Student
- They are all amazing tutors! – CHM 111 Student
- She did a great job of helping me have a better understanding the material and showed me good tips to use Excel. – MTH 154 Student
- The tutor was knowledgeable on the subject I needed assistance on, he showed me a sure proof way to get the right answers each time. – MTH 154 Student
- He was attuned in his knowledge in Excel and was capable to teach me how to solve the calculations for my assignment for mth 154. – MTH 154 Student
- I found a great tutor and always very patient when explaining concepts. - CHM 111 Student
- All the chem tutors are awesome!! thank you so much for your help! - CHM 111 Student
- How can I reach the Center?
- Can I make an appointment for tutoring?
- How long is one session?
- What can tutors assist me with?
- Do you have a list of private tutors? Do you provide tutoring outside of NOVA?
- How can I get help with the Virginia Placement Test?
- Do you provide tutoring for MTT classes?
- Can I check out textbooks and calculators?
- Do you support Extended Time Tutoring?
- Do you help with Microsoft Office, FTP, Computer Literacy, or MS Word document creation?
How can I reach the Center?We are located in Room CG-405 on the Annandale campus. You can contact the Math & Science Center at 703.323.3139.
Can I make an appointment for tutoring?Walk-in Tutoring is available for the math and science courses, so no appointment is necessary. However, one must review the tutoring schedule on this webpage. The schedule is also posted at the center (Building CG 405).
http://libguides.nvcc.edu/vptmath A Virginia Practice Test is also available at: https://college.measuredsuccess.com Instructions to register for this practice test are at: http://libguides.nvcc.edu/ld.php?content_id=14801447
Open Computer Lab in the CT Building on the Annandale Campus provides support for these type of questions. They may be reached at 703.232.3036.