Meet the Tutors

Meet the  Reading & Writing Tutors!

Hello there! I’m Courtney, a student of George Mason University’s School of Art, studying Drawing and Illustration. While my concentration is in art, I have experience with many types of academic and creative writing. I’m always thrilled to tutor students in art, history, and creative writing, though I am more than happy to work with students across all disciplines as well. In studying the craft as a writer, I wish nothing more than to provide whatever help students seek. I believe these interactions to be a collaborative effort between tutor and student that enables both of us to glean knowledge off each other. I am also one of the active workshop curators here at the RWC, so I’m always looking forward to sharing helpful tips and tricks about academic and professional writing, and even storytelling with you all. When I’m not spending long hours in front of a canvas taller than myself or editing my first manuscript, I enjoy weekly D&D sessions with friends, playing too much Animal Crossing, and burying my nose into the pages of my endless tbr piles.

Meet the ESL & World Language Tutors!

Hi all, my name is Karen Nguyen. I am an English tutor. I am a native English speaker and my family is from Viet Nam. I may be fluent in English, but I have struggled in the past to learn both French and Vietnamese, so I understand how hard it is to learn a foreign language!  I want to major in teaching and minor in history. I love reading and learning new things every day.  I hope to see you at the language center soon!

Hola, My name is Virginia Oman and I am a Spanish tutor at the World Language Center. I am a native Spanish speaker that enjoys foreign languages. I am also fluent in English and I can converse in French. I have lived in many foreign lands and I am very interested in other cultures. I am delighted to be working at the World Language Center sharing my knowledge about Spanish grammar, vocabulary and culture.  I look forward to helping the students excel in their understanding and use of the Spanish language. Bienvenidos!

Mounna website photoHello,
I am Mounna Tamek. I got my Bachelor’s Degree in English Studies in Morocco. I am an ESL and Arabic tutor in the Language Center. I have also been working at the Reading and Writing Center for two years. I have met students from different backgrounds and I really enjoy the experience of meeting people and tutoring. I am currently taking classes at George Mason University with a major in English and a concentration in Writing and Rhetoric. English is not my native language, but I know what it takes to learn a new language. The first time I came to the US, I was very shy. However, being a frequent visitor to the Language Center enabled me to meet phenomenal tutors who helped me overcome my fears. We are here to help you and with your persistence and determination, you will be able to achieve your goals. Don’t hesitate to stop by. I look forward to seeing you!

Hola, my name is Rosa Williams. I have worked at the World Language Center since 2014. It has been a joy to help students learn my native language. My goal is to make sure that all the students become successful and fluent in Spanish with good grammatical and pronunciation skills. I taught Spanish for six years at an elementary School in  Alaska, and twelve years in the Fairfax County Public Schools.

I am looking forward to seeing you at the center for individual or small group tutoring, show you the software programs, and educate you in Latin American Culture. I also host a Conversation Cafe every week, everyone is welcome to join us.

JulietHi, my name is Juliet and I’m an ESL tutor. I’m a native speaker and have been living in Virginia my whole life. I absolutely love learning about other cultures from around the globe and love helping others practice their English skills. I am currently in the process of learning Mandarin, so I understand how difficult it can be to learn another language. The most important thing is to never give up, to learn from your mistakes, and to keep an optimistic attitude. I look forward to meeting you and helping you with any questions you may have about the English language!

BONJOUR,

I am Makeda an International Student, a French Tutor, and a Student Ambassador here at the Annandale campus. My journey with the French language began at a very young age as I was fortunate enough to attend a French International School, Lycée Guebre Mariam, back in my home country, Ethiopia. My personal experience has helped me acquire some skills; I am more than happy to walk you through this journey. I was once in your place, a beginner, and afraid to learn the language. In the end, my lack of knowledge did not matter since I was learning to get better at it. “Change is the result of all true learning”.

こんにちは! My name is Asuka. I am a Japanese tutor, and I am also a student at NOVA. I’m a native Japanese speaker, and have been living in Virginia for about 5 years. I understand learning another language can be really hard. English is my second language, so when I was taking an English class I was visiting the Language Center very often to ask for help. If you need any help with Japanese, please feel free to stop by. I look forward to meeting you at the Language Center!

Hi everyone,

My name is Yelyzaveta Voloshyna, but everyone calls me Liza. I tutor ESL and Russian at the Language Center. I moved to the United States from Ukraine in 2015. As an immigrant and an asylee, I can understand all the struggles that international students may be going through in their language classes. On a positive note, I just graduated from George Mason University with a B.S. in Neuroscience, and I hope to have a productive semester with you all!

Meet the Math & Science Tutors!

Hello, I am Mandresy Andriamasinoro, a tutor in the Math and Science center and a current student in Computer Science. I love being able to contribute to students’ education as they work toward their goals. I have been tutoring at NOVA for a little over a year now, and will still continue helping students to the best of my ability. Feel free to come to us if you ever need help!

Hi! I’m Sofia Escoto and I’m a math and science tutor. I graduated from NOVA in December 2019 and now I’m a biology major at GMU. I like to read, hang out with my dog Spoon, and do puzzles. I love the feeling you get when you take in all the information given and use that to find out new answers to problems, which is why I love classes like chemistry and biology. I’m really looking forward to helping you guys out with solving your problems so you can get that feeling too. Hope to see you soon!

Hi, my name is Antonio Alt, the person in the middle, and I am a math and science tutor. I am currently a Nova student and I’m planning to major in Physics. Yep, I’m a certified nerd. I’m more than happy to help anyone with any math or physics questions and I hope I can help you understand what your teacher is showing you in class. Swing by if you ever need any help with school!

Hope you have a good semester,

Antonio

Meet the Staff!

Hello, my name is Brian and I’m the ESL Center Supervisor. Stop by CG 408 to explore some of the resources that are available to language students. Make an appointment to see a tutor, or log in to use a computer. We have a lot of language learning software that is free for students to use. Our staff is here to help and many of them were language students themselves, so they are familiar with the challenges that come with learning a new language. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask. We want to help you unlock your potential!

Hello, my name is May and I am the Math and Science Center Manager. The Math & Science Center (MSC) is an academic support center at the Annandale Campus providing tutoring support in the CG 405. Covering 35-45 courses each semester in Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Engineering and Accounting, our goal is to provide academic support to students enrolled primarily at the Annandale Campus. The MSC provides that support with a diverse group of peer tutors mirroring the campus student population. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. The MSC is the wonderful place where you can practice your math or science questions

Hello, everyone. My name is Hyojin Shin, a lab assistant at the language center. Since I was an international student, I often come here to ask the tutors for help and use a variety of software programs. The tutors and the programs were really helpful for me, so I strongly recommend you come here and take advantage of the resources as much as you can. If you have any questions, please let me know. I am more than happy to help you. I hope you have a great semester and see you all at the language center soon.