New in 2018, the Academic Success Center STAR award recognizes individuals for their outstanding efforts Sharing Time and Resources (STAR) for student success. Congratulations to three members of the ASC team who are 2018 ASC STARS:
Read about these award recipients and other news in our May newsletter:
There’s only a few weeks left to take advantage of free tutoring help in the Academic Success Center! Read our April newsletter to check the end-of-semester tutoring schedule and make your study plans before final exams.
ASC April 2018 Newsletter
5 Important Tips to be Successful at the ASC’s Writing Center (AA-234) as Recommended by Writing Consultant Rima Fakhry:
1. Understand the policies, services, and hours prior to your visit. Learn more by visiting our website: https://blogs.nvcc.edu/asc/writing-center/
2. Come to the Writing Center at least one week before your assignment is due.
3. Bring specific questions about your assignment and bring the prompt (or, directions for the assignment) so the writing tutor/consultant has a clear understanding of the requirements.
4. Writing tutors and consultants do not proofread a student’s paper (for example: they don’t correct every grammar error). However, they give resources and make recommendations on how to improve a student’s writing.
5. The Writing Center holds a number of valuable resources such as:
- The Bedford Handbook,
- The Little Seagull Handbook,
- the MLA Handbook(8th edition),
- the APA Manual, and
- lots of print resources
to help students with different aspects of the writing process. You may use those handbooks while you’re in the Center. In addition, you can find handouts on MLA and APA format and more!
Our team of writing consultants, tutors and administrative assistants are all here to help you explore ways to improve on your writing. We want to help you meet your assignment requirements and become better writers.
So come on in and let’s meet!
Our friendly front desk staff is ready to help you make an appointment for tutoring, writing assistance, and/or academic coaching. Scroll through our March newsletter to learn about all the free services and workshops we offer students: https://sway.com/zolGnip7k49q4qMK
The ASC has selected three new Lead Tutors to help train, develop and recruit tutors for the center! Read about our Lead Tutors and check out our spring workshop series in the January newsletter: https://sway.com/k2eQ6YWCm2u7Xnfc
After a busy semester helping other students, our tutors, writing consultants, and front desk receptionists celebrated with a potluck party! Read about the many ways we helped students this semester in our 2017-2018 Winter Newsletter: https://sway.com/QBFfffQAFGvVupeZ
We won the Student Life Halloween Spooky Door Brag Contest! Take a look at the pictures of our door display and of our awesome team of tutors, writing consultants, and front desk receptionists in our Nov. newsletter: https://sway.com/I86sWf0Z9gRFaP3A
ASC’s Gwen McCrea wins the VCCA Showcase Award! Read about it in our October newsletter: https://sway.com/X6uNK6Rn2FnMR47L
Come to the ASC on Thurs., Sept. 21, at 1 p.m. for a free workshop on transfer application essays. No registration is necessary. Bring your essay ideas and/or drafts!
NOVA President Dr. Scott Ralls visited ASC on the first day of classes! Read about his visit, a new video workshop on reading comprehension, and our awesome tutors’ day of training: https://sway.com/yEJrIQN6oSxVqNow