Syed Minhaj Hossain

Student Spotlight: Syed Minhaj Hossain

This article was originally posted on College of DuPage.

Syed Minhaj Hossain has been drawing ever since he was a child. He initially attended university in his home country of Bangladesh to study business administration. However, after two years, he knew it wasn’t for him and he studying animation in the Multimedia and Creative Technology department at Daffodil International University.

He then saw an advertisement for the Community College Initiative Program offered through the U.S. State Department. He applied for the program and, after a 10-month process, was selected to attend College of DuPage.

“Bangladesh is a developing company,” he said. “Everyone wants to go to America but there are some misconceptions. What I found is that people are helpful, friendly and, in many ways, the same as us.”

Hossain also participated in the annual Animation Night presentation of student works. He described his project as “an inspirational story for the young generation.” He combined hand-drawn animation and digital painting to tell the story of a retiring CEO who, in hand-picking his successor, gives potential candidates one year to complete a task before judging who is the most honest applicant.

After earning his MPTV/Animation certificate, Hossain is returning to Daffodil University to finish his degree. He has two career dreams: to work in Hollywood at a major animation studio and to promote animation in Bangladesh, where he would like to open his own studio.

“I want to teach students in my country what I have learned at COD,” he said. “Being part of the CCI Program wasn’t just about animation, it was about taking advantage of a big opportunity. What I found at College of DuPage were a lot more resources than I ever had before. Professor Tony Venezia and the Animation program are amazing. He is one of the best professors I’ve ever met and he takes time to help students one by one.”

Posted in Participants.