Yes, I am More Optimistic Now….

“Now close your eyes and take a deep breath! Write about your kind of world that you want to live”. By giving a final task for all of us, he finished his presentation and put down the power point which had been lighting the entire room for the past 2 hours. It was a fine Friday! For CCI participants it’s CSI Friday.  Every week we have CSI class. This is the day the 30 CCI Program participants sit and talk together, study together and have fun together. That’s how we say good bye to our exhausting busy weeks and make a grand beginning to our weekends. This CSI class was about how to find our real passion and put it into innovative ideas. The smart and enthusiastic instructor from the Ashoka Foundation took us on a journey through his amazing style of presentation. Then it was our turn to look deep inside our heart and ask ourselves what we were really passionate about? What kind of world we wanted to create and live in? I looked around. Everyone was busy with making their own imaginary world. A world which they found peaceful and beautiful, a world where they could be successful and happy. The thought of originating thirty new and innovative ideas about a better world made me so excited. I found it amazing.

For five minutes I spent nothing but watching others. I tried to focus on my paper and write something. The white blankness really annoyed me. I wanted to fill it with multiple colors of thoughts, but I couldn’t. That was frustrating. There are a lot of things that I care about, things that I wanted to change. Where should I start and where should I end? I hate it when somebody takes advantage of others by exploiting their incapability. I hate it when some people are privileged only because they are in a particular religion, cast, ethnicity or gender. I hate it when opportunities are not equally distributed. I hate when people don’t care about others. I just realized my kind of world was very far away from my reality. Finally, I wrote “I want to live in a world where nobody is privileged over others and everybody has the equal freedom and choices to live a life that they love. I read it again and again. I found a cold stream started to flow from the bottom of my heart. It didn’t make me happy but more disappointed. I knew it was too flowery and fantastical for others. But it was from my real passion even though I was not confident about it.

‘Ok, now you guys have to walk around, find one of your CCI friends and share your thoughts with each other”. We got the second task from the instructor. Suddenly the whole class transformed into a gentle motion. We started to walk by carrying worlds full of expectations and found a partner to share. Many small groups of two people formed around me. I felt the atmosphere getting filled with some positive vibes. Laughs, arguments, suggestions and hugs were all over the room.  I found my partner. We accidentally bumped into each other. She pulled out her ripped note book page and held it closely for me to see. I saw a picture of glob with small human sketches and a big smile. I let her speak first because I was embarrassed by my own assumption that my thoughts could be too unrealistic, and she might not get the point. She started to speak. “I always dream of a world where everybody has an opportunity to make their dreams come true. You know, I want to live in a world where each person really matters. She stopped… Is that too much to wish?” she asked. “Never,” I replied. I was continuously smiling while listening to her. I saw the same cold stream developed in me flowing through her heart and wetting her eyes. We hugged each other. I realized that dreaming big is not a fault. Being without any dream is a fault. All great leaders had visions and beautiful dreams. All of them seemed impossible until they came true.  CCI taught me that you are never alone in pursuing a passion to bring changes in this world. I experienced it several times throughout my journey as a CCI participant. I realized it when we started to use a lot of “we” instead of ‘I’ in our action plans and even single conversations. I realized it when we shared sorrows and happiness regardless of our religion, gender, or nationality. I believed in it when my fellow CCI students and I started to care more about the pleasure from giving back to the society not just volunteering hours, and when we found the feeling of home with our host families. CCI brought group of people into my life to made me realize that my vision for a better world is not far away.  Yes, I am more optimistic now, I started to bring changes in my life. I hope I can extend those positiveness to others life as well.

CCI NOVA 2017-2018

Post written by Diana Nadira Puthusseri, CCI participant at NOVA-Annandale from India.

2 thoughts on “Yes, I am More Optimistic Now….”