NOVA Print Shop

When I heard that I was selected for the Community College Initiative Program and that I was going in USA, I knew that I earned a big opportunity to improve myself, to discover new things and to have a good and solid practical knowledge.

I started preparing my mind in my home country. I was trying to picture how life would be like to live, study, and work (internship) in an American community. Of course I knew everything would be different from everything I experienced before. Yet I could not imagine accurately. I am saying so because my imagination was not close to what I am currently living here.

I would write for years without finishing telling about my experience in USA. So I will just focus for now on my first semester in an American school.

Studying at Northern Virginia Community College is awesome and I enjoy a lot. However even if NOVA taught me a lot I think it is because of the American school system in general, not just NOVA. The American school system is wonderful and that foster the educational system.

I started School at NOVA in August 2017. All my classes were very good and I had awesome teachers but this is not my concern for now. The experience that amazed me started with my public relations classes, with Dr. Melvin Murphy, two weeks after the start of the fall semester. This class was not really different from the scenario of other classes but had something special. The class was highly interactive and we were working on a real project. Yes ! We had a real client and we had to do a professional work that would be implemented by the NOVA Print Service (our client).  By the end of the semester we would have present a complete public relations plan aiming at improving the visibility of the NOVA print services.

Designing a real and complete PR plan for the Print service was an awesome project to work on, however it implied a lot of work. I have to confess that some of us doubted about the feasibility of that PR plan (me included 🙂 ). It was the first time a real project for a real client was assigned to a class starting a topic, like us beginning public relations. We knew it wouldn’t be easy but we kept faith and start working hard. With the assistance of Dr. Murphy, we made three groups named as follow: Strategy, Media and implementation. Then we were working with a wonderful graphic designer (Miranda Galas), from another class, and a good photographer (Troy Mauricio) in the implementation team (My team).

We thus broke down the job and start working hard. We were doing both at the same time, I mean normal classes and our special project afterward. That class was challenging because we had to learn the theories fast during class sessions so that we could have enough time to break down into groups and work on the project. Like we were implementing in groups what we were learning during class sessions it was complementary and easy to assimilate for us.

We shared tasks in groups and little by little we built our artwork. This experience also changed my view about group works. It was well coordinated and team members were responsible. We respected the deadlines and requirements. Professor Murphy was checking on us really often. He wanted to make sure we weren’t too stressed out and that we are doing the right job.

At the end of the semester we retuned the final job to the print services, after Dr. Murphy approves. We start getting ready for the presentation in front of the client and some staff members. The final PR plan has been printed, for all the attendees, by the print services. We were stressing out the day of the final presentation but we presented well and they appreciated a lot. We finally made it successful. Yeah ! We did it, we had the recognition of the school and the CCI Program.

Today, after having this amazing opportunity to work on such a project, I feel like I acquired a ready to use theoretical and practical knowledge. This knowledge is one of the reason that gave me an Internship at George Mason University. A job in which I have the opportunity to keep doing what I like and to practice more and more in a professional environment with professionals. I am ready to impact, to learn and to teach as well.

The CCI program is not a trip or a vacation it is a new life ! I can’t be more grateful.

Post written by Liaden Hermann Ake, CCI Participant at NOVA-Annandale from Côte d’Ivoire.

Credit Photo: Troy Mauricio

Graphic Designs : Miranda Gallas