PEACEBUILDING CONFERENCE & CONFLICT MANAGEMENT

The CCI program has changed my life dramatically, it has made me to be an open-minded person and to view life differently than I ever did before I got to United States. On the 25 of October 2018 I have attended the Alliance for Peacebuilding’s annual conference PeaceCon 2018. It was my first time in my life to attend such an amazing, and educating conference were people from various countries come together with a same objective of promoting peace.

Sibusiso as a volunteer at the Alliance for Peacebuilding Annual Conference

On that day I felt very important after the conference because I have gained mutual understanding pertaining the importance of peace. I have attended two sessions, the first session was based on how to resolve a conflict in places such as working environment, School, and within the community. I have met with different people that day, as a result I have accumulated up building ideas as well as making connection with different people. I was highly motivated by one guy from South Sudan, he created few games that are designed to promote peace. He told me about his background and the fundamental reasons why he came into senses of developing games that seek to promote peace. I am enthusiastically and highly motivated to start my own restaurant intended to promote peace, for example, I am going to provide variety of cuisine in the same restaurant with a motto that says welcome home. These are some of the component I have learned in order to resolve a conflict:

• Remain calm, tempers will stand in the way of working through your differences. After all, the goal is making peace with one another, not getting revenge. Respectfully communicate to them, through a mediator if necessary, that you should both take some time to calm down. Then agree on a time and a place to discuss and resolve your conflict.
  • Be willing to understand what went wrong and try to come up with a solution.
  • Understand the background of various people, because we all have different opinions, values as well as culture.
    We should bear in mind that people have different personalities.
Sibusiso with Lual Mayen, Founder of Junub Games.

On the 30th of October 2018 I have attended workshop at NOVA Community college.
I have learned varies aspects that makes people to end up in dispute or conflict, the first reason is that we see things from different point of view. We were given few complicated pictures to identify anything could we see, what transpired is people gave different opinions that could stir up a dispute. However, we learned that we should respect the opinions of others and give our own views in such a way that we do not offend other feelings. I took two tests to examine my personality and I found I am an Amiable person, therefore I read all amiable qualities and I found that they match my personalities. I learned about other three personalities which are Analytical, Driver, and expressive. The primary reason of that test is to keep us aware that people are different, so we need to bear in mind when we work with them. This workshop opened my eyes wide now feel like I am ready to present this information when I return to my home country.

Based on all experiences that I have learned here in the U.S. I am eagerly looking forward to sharing them in my home country when I return home.

Post written by Sibusiso Chipeta from South Africa, a 2018-2019 CCI participant at NOVA-Annandale.