My First . . .

Sometimes things come to us in an unexpected way. The CCI Program was one of them. I wanted to go to America and study. It was possible only if I had money. The CCI Program gave me the opportunity to come to America for FREE. It still sounds like a dream for me.

After coming to America, it took 6 months for me to accept that I am in America. Before coming to America, I made my plans about what I will do over there. When I was selected, other people in my society came to know about it. From that point I was treated differently. I was treated as someone who is very smart and who knows everything (I felt like a president). People started asking advice for them to me as if I was an expert.

Simran and her CCI colleagues at the 2020 Pathways to Success Mid-Year Program in Washington, D.C.

When I met my CCI colleagues and other people, they seemed to have a different mind- set and knowledge. Even people from same countries have different level of thinking. I explored that there is so much more to learn. CCI Program gave me an opportunity to learn on a big platform. Every day, I am learning something new. We share our culture with each other. It is really fun for me to know others culture. Every culture have their own way of expressing, communicating and different ways to look at the situation. I also learned people from different culture hold different beliefs. After knowing more things, I became more open-minded person. I felt like I was changing every day.

Volunteering in the local community.

I do not like changes. But I cannot resist how CCI Program is changing and shaping me in a better way. I got chances to know myself in many ways. One pillar of CCI Program is volunteering. I was scared to do volunteering. I lack from self-confidence. I thought I won’t be able to do that. I was scared of taking task during volunteering. I did my first volunteering at “Around the World Food Festival.” During that volunteering, I had to take initiatives. I was scared of taking initiative because I thought I won’t success. I discovered that I performed very well in my task. I overcome my fear of taking initiative. I became more confident about myself. That one volunteering changed my assumptions about myself. I started taking more initiatives by doing more volunteering. Now, I am no more scared to take initiatives.

Cultural Exchange: Sharing about India during NOVA’s International Education week

This was my first time facing my fear alone. In the past, I used to cry when I was couldn’t succeed and I try to avoid the situations. I used to hold a lot of assumptions about myself. And I believed those assumptions were the truth about me, rather than facing my fears and creating the truth about myself. I thought maybe running from that problem will solve my problem. But actually, it never did. I learnt that running from the situation is not the solution. In order to know whether I am capable of doing tasks, it is actually engaging in the tasks and not making perception about my capability.

Post written by Simran Gala, 2019-2020 CCI Participant from India

One thought on “My First . . .”