How Do I Apply for Financial Aid?
To apply for financial aid, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To complete your FAFSA, go to www.fafsa.ed.gov. The FAFSA is free and you should never pay to complete the FAFSA! NOVA’s Federal Financial Aid School Code is 003727.
What Documents Do I Need to Complete The FAFSA?
There are several items you will need to complete the FAFSA. The 2017-2018 FAFSA covers Fall 2017, Spring 2018 and Summer 2018. For 2017-2018, you will need financial information from 2015. All students will need the following information to complete the FAFSA application:
- Your social security number
- Your driver’s license, if applicable
- Your 2015 federal income tax return
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ
- Foreign tax return, or tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, U.S. Virgin Islands, Marshall Islands, Federal States of Micronesia or Palau
- Your 2015 W-2 forms and other records of money earned in 2015, if any income was earned
- Your 2015 untaxed income records, if applicable (i.e. child support received, interest income, veterans’ benefits, etc.)
- Your current bank statements
- Your current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records as well as stocks, bonds and other investment records, if applicable
- Your alien registration or permanent registration card, if applicable (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
If you are a dependent student, your parents will need to provide the following information:
Note: A dependent student is a student who does not meet any of the criteria for an independent student. An independent student is one of the following: at least 24 years old, married, a graduate or professional student, a veteran, a member of the armed forces, an orphan, a ward of the court, someone with legal dependents other than a spouse, an emancipated minor or someone who is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
- Parent(s) 2015 federal income tax return and W-2s
- Parent(s) bank statements and current records for all non-retirement investment and asset accounts
- Parent(s) social security number, date of birth (day, month and year)
- Date your parents were married, widowed, divorced or separated
- If you are married, you will also need to provide the 2015 federal income tax return information for your spouse.
How Do I Sign The FAFSA?
To sign your FAFSA online you must apply for an FSA ID. If you are dependent student, you and your parent must apply for an FSA ID. An FSA ID serves as your electronic signature and provides access to your personal records. Never give your FSA ID to anyone, including commercial services that offer to help you complete your FAFSA.
Where Do I Get A FSA ID?
Visit https://fsaid.ed.gov to apply for an FSA ID. You will need your social security number and birthdate to complete this process. If you are dependent student, one of your parents will also need to create an FSA ID to sign your FAFSA.
Questions about your Financial Aid award? Financial Aid assistance is available by creating a case at https://mysupport.nvcc.edu or uploading documents that are accepted electronically through the To Do List. You may also fax documents to (703) 323-3494.