NOVA to Offer New Refund Options Including a Debit Card

Northern Virginia Community College has contracted with Tuition Management Services (TMS) to process electronic financial aid disbursements to students who are entitled to excess financial aid after all institutional charges for tuition, fees, and books have been paid.  You have the ability to receive excess financial aid disbursements via the following options:

• A reloadable Visa prepaid debit card
  • Direct deposit into a checking account (ACH)
  • A check mailed to your mailing address listed in MyNOVA (the default option if a refund preference is not elected)

Select your refund preference by logging into the NOVA refund website at https://nvcc.afford.com/refunds.  You only need to set up your preference once for all future terms and you may make changes to your preference at any time.

Please note that students who elect to receive refunds on a reloadable Visa prepaid debit card or by direct deposit may receive their refunds a few days sooner than students who are mailed a check for their refund.  However, it may still take 10 – 15 business days for students to receive refunds once funds are disbursed since the Financial Aid Office, the Controller’s Office, the State Treasury Department, TMS, and the student’s bank (depending on the option selected) all have separate processes to perform before the student receives the funds.

Students who select the reloadable Visa prepaid debit card should retain the card for all future refund disbursements.  Visit the Visa Prepaid Card website to learn how to use the card without incurring fees and other features of the card. Students are encouraged to use the card at ATM’s within the AllPoint network and retail stores which accept Visa Debit.

Your prepaid debit card will be mailed to the mailing address listed in MyNOVA;   it is critical that your address is correct. Once you activate your card, you will be able to change your address directly on the Visa Prepaid Card website. This change does not change your address in MyNOVA.

If you’re not sure that NOVA has your current mailing address, log in to the NOVA Student Information System via MyNOVA and verify that your mailing address is correct. You can also visit your campus Student Services Center to verify and update your mailing address.

For additional questions about this new feature, contact  NOVArefunds@afford.com or call TMS at 1-888-722-4867.

27 thoughts on “NOVA to Offer New Refund Options Including a Debit Card”

1. I cannot go to the website or email listed in this blog, is it too soon? I would really like to register for direct deposit to my check in account.

1. The article has been updated. However, the initial email will come to notify you once the system is up and ready for registration. Please be patient for that first email.

Thanks for the feedback!

2. The link included in this blog does not go to anything. Is there another/correct link to register for ACH transactions. Thank you!

Thanks for the feedback!

3. Its now mid March and I still haven’t received an email to set the direct deposit up and my financial aid will be disbursed soon. When I called afford.com they said I can’t register because the school has not sent over my email address. Is the school just not doing this anymore?

4. Ok so I got my card in the mail and am trying to activate but when I go to the website is not allowing me and when I call the number I don’t get anybody to speak to.

5. I got the invitation email in March and registered my pre-paid card but still have not received my refund on my card even though it was posted on my student account on 3/30. The website where you choose your options says that with the pre-paid card you should get same day or next day availability, but it’s been 4 days now. Where is the money?

I’ve called financial aid support twice and received two completely different answers. The first person said he had no idea how long it would take but “probably” 3-5 days. Then the next person said this doesn’t go into effect until next semester and I’ll still be getting a paper check this time. Are either of these answers accurate?

6. My disbursement is posted and I selected the direct deposit option how long until it is deposited into my account?

1. Bob,

The refund card will contain your full disbursement amount, therefore once your tuition is paid for by scholarships, aids, and/or loans, any remaining fund will be process into the refund card.

1. Hi Henry,

Since you have chosen the option of the prepaid card, you should receive the refund in as little as one to two business days. However, it may take a bit longer due to the fact that we are in the process of disbursing financial aid funds to other students as well. Make sure to monitor your account for any changes or updates on the status of your refund.

1. but i also received another letter saying that i wouldnt get it until oct 1 because something about Stafford loans arent being processed yet. im just confused as to when i would be receiving it if any.