About Me

I’ve been involved in education in one way or another for a long time. During college I worked at a remote wilderness summer camp called Haisla Nation Rediscovery. The program brought together elders and youth from the Haisla Nation in British Columbia for two weeks of cultural education and outdoor learning. I’ve also worked as a naturalist and done lots of outdoor education programs with both children and adults. I was an adult education curriculum manager for a company that provided specialized professional training to employees of American Indian governments. As a graduate student in Geography at the University of Minnesota, I taught economic geography. I love teaching college and university classes, and I hope to do more of it in the future.

As a geographer, I study relationships between society and environment. My current research concerns the governance of urban natures and the co-constitution of human and nonhuman in the context of urban ecologies. I’m conducting the majority of my field work at Huntley Meadows Park in Alexandria. It’s a large natural resources park that includes a beautiful non-tidal wetland. Most of the photos on this blog were taken there.

In my free time I enjoy running, hiking, and canoeing. I ignore endeavor to keep a large vegetable and flower garden. I love reading and watching science fiction and fantasy, and I dream of all the places I will travel one day.

Education
PhD in Geography, University of Minnesota (2018)

MA in Geography, University of Minnesota (2004)

BA in Geography, Macalester College (1996)