Looking for a part-time job during the semester? This assistant gardener potion could work for you!
TITLE: Assistant Gardener
SUPERVISOR: Director of Buildings, Gardens & Grounds
CLASSIFICATION: Hourly, Non-Exempt, Part-Time, Emergency
Tudor Place Historic House & Garden seeks a part-time Assistant Gardener. This position is a key member of the Buildings, Gardens & Grounds department aiding in the horticultural maintenance of our 5 ½ acre site. The landscape, which contains an old-growth woodland, a formal garden, a native pollinator garden and naturalistic plantings, is guided by a conservation easement. This position provides an opportunity to gain exposure to many facets of public gardening including fine gardening, pruning, IPM, propagation and turf management. This position is ideal for an energetic person with a sunny disposition who can work independently and collaborate with colleagues in a small team.
• Assist in the maintenance of the gardens and grounds using horticultural best practices (including weeding, mulching, watering, raking, edging, deadheading, plantingand pruning)
• Use IPM to care for the garden and grounds
• Operate a variety of motorized equipment using safety best practices
• Assist with the care of the nursery and greenhouse
• Perform plant propagation
• Assist gardener with seasonal displays
• Assist in supervision of garden volunteers
• Perform snow removal and emergency work when required (may include after-hours and weekend work for which a premium pay rate may be paid)
• Perform other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Three years of relevant professional work experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Knowledge of and ability to use best practices in the areas of horticulture, safety and greenhouse/ nursery management
• Knowledge of common garden pests, diseases and symptoms of nutrient deficiencies
• Ability to communicate effectively and solve problems creatively
• Ability to work closely with colleagues on team projects
• Ability to work independently
Updated 2022 |page 2 of 2
• Ability to manage multiple ongoing projects and prioritize among competing demands; excellent time management and organizational skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and ability to use Microsoft Teams
• The physical requirements of this position are classified as medium work (exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/ or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/ or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects)
• This position requires climbing (stairs, ladders), stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing or walking for extended periods, pushing/pushing, lifting, grasping, visual acuity, keen spatial awareness, the ability to move within constricted spaces, and the ability to safely traverse uneven surface.
• Ability to work in a range of environmental conditions
The regular work schedule is approximately 21 hours per week, 7 a.m.—3 p.m., between Monday and Friday.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS Compensation is based on experience. Salary range starts at $18/hour.
Tudor Place provides excellent benefits to employees, including paid leave, paid holidays, free on-site parking, professional development and a staff Museum Shop discount for all employees; life insurance and medical benefits are available to full-time employees.
Please email Helen Hubbard-Davis, Director of Finance & Administration, at email@example.com with resume and cover letter. Please include ‘ASSISTANT GARDENER’ in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Tudor Place is an Equal Opportunity Employer