Did you fall in love with the beauty of Meadowlark Botanical Gardens during one of Professor Dickson’s plant iD courses? Are you looking for some formal garden experience in one of the best-hidden gems of northern Virginia? What about a garden that focuses on native plantings, restorative plantings, and ecologically sound horticultural practices? If you answered yes to any of these, then the Garden Specialist position at Meadowlark Botanical Garden would be perfect for you!
The Garden Specialist is responsible for assisting with the maintenance of planted areas and lawns.
Pay Rate: $14.50 per hour
Major Duties/Specific Tasks
- Perform various landscape maintenance including weeding, mulching, edging, raking, and watering planted areas as needed.
- Plant trees, shrubs, and flowers in designated areas.
- Prune and trim plants as needed; clear brush.
- Pot seedlings and cuttings.
- Maintain cleanliness of walks by sweeping or shoveling snow.
- Mow grass using a variety of lawn mowers and tractors.
- Operate a skid loader.
- Operate small engine equipment such as backpack blowers and line trimmers.
- Assist with coordination of volunteers.
- Assist with light show installation or special projects as needed.
- Minimum of one year of college education in a related field (or equivalent training or experience) and one year of supervisory experience or Master Gardener certification.
- Considerable knowledge of native and ornamental plant materials, intermediate plant identification and gardening.
- Knowledge of plant propagation.
- Ability to read landscape plans.
- Considerable ability to communicate clearly and effectively with the public and staff members, with ability to prepare and present accurate reports.
- Knowledge of lawn care techniques and safe operation of equipment.
- Ability to learn skid loader or tractor operation.
- Strength and dexterity necessary to perform all required tasks, including lifting, stooping, bending, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor in a variety of weather conditions.
- Availability to work additional hours during peak operating times.
- Possession of or ability to obtain valid driver’s license, must maintain safe driving record.
- Required to purchase and wear standard uniform.