New Faculty and Staff at the Annandale Campus

Amy Macrina is a new member of the mathematics faculty. She comes to us originally from Central New York (the Utica area, in between Syracuse and Albany).

Macrina’s education includes a B.A. in mathematics and economics from Utica College (2005), an M.S. degree in mathematics from the University of Albany (where she has become a candidate for the Ph.D. degree). She continues to work on her dissertation.

Macrina says she came to her academic specialty because “…I loved math, especially after taking AP calculus in high school, so I pursued a B.A. in mathematics. I was both encouraged and motivated to attain a doctorate degree and therefore started my graduate career. I took a time series class as a graduate student and fell in love with the field and its possibilities. I decided to work in that area and with that professor as my adviser.”

Prior to joining NOVA’s Annandale Campus MSE Division, she worked as an adjunct at several different colleges while working on completing her doctoral degree.

Joining the geology faculty this year is Shelley Jaye who grew up in the suburbs of Detroit, Michigan, “… in the heart of auto company headquarters and manufacturing plants.” Jaye says that teaching is a second career for her, as she worked for 15 years managing the development of early geographic information systems for the Department of Defense. She received both B.S. and M.S. degrees in geology from Wayne State University (in downtown Detroit, Michigan). Her background is in igneous and metamorphic petrology. Her research involved detailed mapping and rock analysis in West Spitsbergen, Svalbard, Norway. She began her teaching career while she lived in Chesapeake, Virginia. She was an adjunct professor at Tidewater Community College, Thomas Nelson Community College, Saint Leo University and Franklin University prior to relocating to Northern Virginia. Here she taught at Annandale as an adjunct for two semesters before joining NOVA full-time this fall. Jaye says she was always fascinated by the natural sciences while growing up. A critical experience was a week-long geology field trip to the Upper Peninsula in Michigan while attending community college. “I was completely fascinated with what I learned and decided to pursue geology as my field of study.”