NOVA’s Extended Learning Institute (ELI) announces a new series of professional development workshops for NOVA faculty who teach (or want to teach) blended and online courses. The workshops were developed by the VCCS TOTAL (Topics in Online Teaching and Learning) project. See the project website for descriptions of the workshops. The content and style of the workshops are similar to those of the popular TOP (EDU 285, Teaching Online Project) and IDOL (287, Instructional Design for Online Learning) courses, but the TOTAL courses are shorter in length (2 to 4 weeks) and tuition-free. Because each workshop focuses on a single topic, faculty can build an individualized professional development plan by selecting only the topics they need. All workshops take place online in Blackboard.
The following workshops are scheduled for this semester:
- Preparing Student Learning Objectives (October 15 – 28)
- Designing Meaningful Discussion Activities (October 29 – November 18)
- Writing Directions (November 26 – December 9)
- Implementing Open Educational Resources (October 29 – November 18)
- Establishing Social Presence (October 15 – November 11)
- Designing Rubrics and Providing Feedback (October 15 – November 11)
- Time Management Strategies (November 26 – December 9)
Poeple who successfully complete a workshop will receive a Virginia Community College System certificate of completion. ELI will also provide a gift book to celebrate the launch of this new workshop series.