In an effort to help NOVA’s first-time-to-college students meet the requirements of the new policy changes, the Achieving the Dream Policy Changes Implementation Steering Committee developed a checklist to guide NOVA students through the initial steps of the registration process. Effective Fall 2014, all first-time-to-college students (ages 17-24) and Pathway to the Baccalaureate students must complete the Start Strong Checklist below:
- Apply for admission online.
- Take the English and math placement tests.
- Activate your NOVA email account.
- Attend required Student Orientation to meet with your first-year advisor and register for classes.
- Enroll in the required one-credit College Success Skills course (SDV 100 or 101) during your first year.
- Register for developmental courses during your first semester, if required.
To meet the On-Time Registration policy requirement, all new students must register before 11:59 p.m. on the day before the session start date. Once the session begins, registration is closed. Students who wait until 11:59 p.m. on the day before the session begins still have until 5:00 p.m. the next business day to pay for their classes.
View the new checklist flyer in the Flyers section of this edition. The checklist will also be available on postcards and posters throughout the campuses, online at www.nvcc.edu/startstrong and on the GPS for Success page.