NOVA Instructional Designer Receives OER Research Fellowship

NOVA Instructional Designer Receives OER Research FellowshipExtended Learning Institute Instructional Designer Kim Grewe has been selected as a 2016-2017 Open Education Resource (OER) Research Fellow.

Grewe, a doctoral candidate in the Community College Leadership Program at Old Dominion University, was one of only 21 candidates chosen from a national pool of applicants. As an instructional designer, Grewe advocates for the adoption of OER in online courses and works with faculty and ELI Librarian Heather Blicher to design and revise courses implementing OER.

Grewe also serves as a team member on NOVA’s Steering Committee for the Achieving the Dream OER Degree Initiative, led by Instructional Services Director Preston Davis, a nationally recognized OER leader. Her research interest is the impact of OER on student learning outcomes, and Grewe hopes to design a study that examines the efficacy of OER on student success at NOVA.

“I am honored and humbled to have been chosen as an OER Research Fellow. I am delighted at this opportunity to bring NOVA further into the national spotlight as a leader in the open education movement,” Grewe said.

The OER Research Fellowship, sponsored by the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation and distributed through the Open Education Group, provides funding support for OER Research Fellows to attend two conferences, one of which is the Open Education Conference in Richmond, Virginia, in early November. In addition, fellows receive mentoring in OER research and guidance in identifying, researching and writing specific OER projects.

Working with two other doctoral students in Virginia, Grewe is currently conducting a textbook cost analysis of first year students at Virginia community colleges. She will be presenting the results of this research with her team at the 13th Annual Open Education Conference this November. Grewe, along with Davis and NOVA faculty, will also be part of a panel titled “Creating a Culture of Open at Northern Virginia Community College” at the conference.

2 thoughts on “NOVA Instructional Designer Receives OER Research Fellowship

1. I hope this email finds you well. I am a doctoral student in Learning Technologies Design Research, at George Mason University. Currently, I am doing a research project on OER as a course assignment and a pilot study for my dissertation study. The study aims to explore faculty perceptions of OER from the perspectives of OER leaders to understand and determine the factors of adoption and non-adoption OER in order to develop a model/ intervention to help faculty to adopt OER with less obstacles. I am interested in interviewing via Skype OER leaders across Virginia who have worked closely with faculty members in higher education institutions. The interview will take approximately 30 minutes.
    I would like to interview you as an OER leader/expert in your institution and had experience in OER adoption. I appreciate your support if you could accept my invitation to participate in my study. I am looking to hearing from you.
    Maimoona Al Abri
    Learning Technologies Design Research
    George Mason University