The PaTHS Scholarship, established by the husband and wife team of Robert C. Loser and Reva A. Savkar, provides $500 awards to two students to encourage exploration of lab sciences at NOVA and science-related career paths.
Carl Sagan said, “Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.”
Students who have attended the 2016 NCSI Forensics Summer Academy and have completed the fall 2016 semester at NOVA with a minimum 2.75 grade point average are eligible to apply. The scholarship can be used toward tuition and course materials for one NOVA lab science course in the summer or fall 2017 semesters. Courses with labs in biology, chemistry, geology, natural science and physics are eligible.
NOVA faculty, staff and administrators are asked to encourage qualified students to apply for this scholarship. For more information and the application form, please go online.
Application Deadline: February 27, 2017
Number of Awards Offered: Two per year
Value of Each Award: $500
Use of Award: The scholarship may be used only for tuition and course materials for one of the eligible NOVA lab science courses in the summer 2017 or fall 2017 semesters. Courses with labs in biology, chemistry, geology, natural science and physics are eligible.
Recipient Selection Process: Selection made by the PaTHS Faculty Scholarship Committee.
- Student must be an alumnus of the NOVA NCSI Forensic Summer 2016 Academy.
- Student must be currently taking full-time (12 credits or more) or part-time (6 credits –11 credits) NOVA classes.
- Student must have completed the fall 2016 semester at NOVA.
- Student must have a GPA of 2.75 or higher at NOVA.
Supplemental Questions to be Answered by the Applicant:
- Are you an alumnus of NOVA NCSI Forensic Summer 2016 Academy?
- In 250 to 500 words, please express the significance and/or effect that the NOVA NCSI Summer 2016 Academy had on you, including expectations before attending and experiences during the academy. Please address specific investigations, instrumentation, and techniques used during the academy, such as DNA, pollen, white powder, fiber, hair analysis, etc.
- In 250 to 500 words, please describe how the “PaTHS” award and lab science courses will help you in your proposed academic and professional career paths. How do you think your lab science knowledge and experience could help you make a useful contribution to societal needs, such as environmental issues, safe drinking water, nutrition, public health, etc.?
- Please upload your NOVA transcript.