Annandale Library Exhibit Marks World War I Centennial

Adjunct History Instructor Nathan Moore

The Annandale Campus Library is currently hosting an exhibit commemorating the 100th anniversary of the United States official entry into World War I (April 6), also known as the Great War. The exhibit, located on the third floor lobby of the CG building, is a cooperative effort between library staff and Adjunct History Instructor Nathan Moore. The specific theme of the exhibit is Graphic Novels and the Great War. Both graphic novels supplied by Moore and books and DVD’s from the library collection are featured.

Annandale Library Exhibit Marks World War I Centennial Graphic novels can offer a powerful and emotional experience that is often missing from other representations of war. World War I is in many ways a forgotten war in the United States but is a critical moment in modern history to understand because it led to the U.S. and the Soviet Union becoming global superpowers. It also planted the seeds for the clashes between these two nations that would come to be known as the Cold War. Hopefully, through a popular medium like graphic novels, more people will come to appreciate the significance of World War I in shaping the world we live in today.

Annandale Library Exhibit Marks World War I Centennial Moore has written a paper on “Graphic Novels and the Great War” that he will be presenting at the International Graduate Historical Studies Conference at Central Michigan University on March 31. The Annandale Library exhibit will run through late March.