“The Many Faces of Woman” on Display at Manassas

Assistant Dean Barbara Lash (left) and Professor Rosemary Gallick (right) helped Kathleen Stark hang her art show in Colgan Hall at the Manassas Campus.

“The Many Faces of Woman” is on display at the Manassas Campus through March 28 in honor of Women’s History Month. The exhibition features artwork and poetry by Kathleen Stark of Springfield, Virginia.

“The paintings, assemblages and poetry in this show are about the many faces that women wear,” Stark said. “It has taken me 74 years to find out who I am as a woman. My journey began seriously when my son left for college. I finally took time to see myself, not as an extension of someone else but as a person in my own right. Since that time, I have learned many things about the reasons I am who I am and the pieces in this show reflect parts of that journey.”

The show includes artwork based on events in Stark’s childhood and things she has observed over her lifetime, as well as an assemblage about Stark’s great-grandmother.

“My work tends to be emotional, expressionistic and quirky. I also try to bring a sense of humor to my work and not take it or myself too seriously,” Stark said. “I hope this show will give viewers some insights for their own journeys.”

During the 30 years Stark has been an artist she has explored many different methods. She works in pastel, acrylic, ink, collage and assemblage.

Stark studied fine art and art history at the Corcoran School of Art and Design, the University of Hawaii and NOVA. Her work can be seen at the Fairfax Art League’s Old Town Hall Gallery and the Village Gallery in Fairfax.

Manassas Campus art shows are sponsored by the Fine Arts Club, Art Program, Honors Club, Student Life and the Provost’s Office. To learn more, contact Art Professor Rosemary Gallick at rgallick@nvcc.edu.

One thought on ““The Many Faces of Woman” on Display at Manassas