“Engineered Abstraction” on Display at Manassas

Art Professor Rosemary Gallick (Manassas) recently helped David Levy hang several of his geometric paintings in the Colgan Hall Art Gallery at the Manassas Campus. The show called “Engineered Abstraction” will be on display until September 25, and the NOVA community is invited to meet Levy during a closing reception and discussion September 25 at 12:15 p.m. in Colgan Gallery.

Levy began painting more than 40 years ago as a Lehigh University student. In August 2012, he joined the Guild of Creative Art in New Jersey where he currently serves as docent and president. His hard-edge style paintings and optical art have been displayed in numerous shows and garnered several awards.

“I love the purity of geometric forms, crisp and elegant line, a few bold colors, and the visual record of brushstroke,” Levy said. “In combining these things, I wish to visually please, provoke and, on occasion, perplex my audience but always to engage them. I want my paintings to provide a kind of visual aerobics for viewers’ eyes to entice them to repeatedly scan and measure them, but also to discover patterns that help to make the painting seem flat and abstract. I also want my viewers to appreciate the illusion of spatial depth that I suggest. Ideally, the paintings should be understood and enjoyed both two dimensionally and three dimensionally.”

Colgan Gallery is open 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Fridays. To learn more, contact Gallick at rgallick@nvcc.edu.