9:30 am – Welcome by Dr. Jim McClellan, Dean of Liberal Arts, Alexandria Campus
9:35 am – Human Trafficking in a Historical Context
Join these distinguished individuals for a discussion that highlights the similarities between slavery pre-1865 and modern day human trafficking.
Dr. Jim McClellan, Dean of Liberal Arts, Northern Virginia Community College Alexandria Campus
- Dr. Joe Windham, Assistant Dean of History and Political Science, Northern Virginia Community College Alexandria Campus
- Dr. Rashmi Bali Chilka, Assistant Dean of History and Political Science, Northern Virginia Community College, Annandale Campus
11:05 am – A Global Perspective on Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking is a social justice issue that affects millions of people worldwide. Our panelists work to combat these human rights violations. Please join us to hear how these individuals, organizations and governments are seeking to correct these injustices on a global and national level.
- Jennifer Litvak, Human Rights Education Specialist, The Protection Project
- Guillermo Galarza, The International Centre for Missing and Exploited Children
- Professor Susan French, Senior Staff Attorney, International Human Rights Clinic, George Washington University Law School
- A representative from the US Department of State
- Jelena Jovica, Student, Northern Virginia Community College, Alexandria Campus
7:30 pm – Human Trafficking: A Contemporary Human Right Community Issue
While many people know that Human Trafficking is an issue across the globe, too often people are unaware of how this issue seeps its way into every corner of our world. In fact, many may find it hard to believe that human trafficking even found a place in Alexandria, VA. Please join our panelists from the area who will discuss how human trafficking is a present-day situation in our community and what these resources are doing in the fight for human rights.
Jean Kelleher, Director of the Office of Human Rights, City of Alexandria
Cathryn “Cat” Evans, Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney, City of Alexandria
Mike Mackey, Gang Prevention and Intervention Coordinator, Court Services, representing the Northern Virginia Human Trafficking Task Force
Captain Scott Ogden, Alexandria PD
Lieutenant Jack Compton, Alexandria PD
Lieutenant Dennis Andreas, Alexandria PD
Beth Pfenning, Training & Technical Assistance Specialist, Polaris Project