Yes, tutoring is FREE for ALL NOVA students.
Yes, you have to be currently enrolled in courses to receive tutoring.
Tutoring is located in Howsmon Hall, Room 318 (near the Testing Center). Business, Mathematics, and Engineering tutoring is offered in Howsmon Hall, Room 217.
Appointments are made by calling us at 703.530.2893, e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the Tutoring Center in MH 318 for assistance.
No, you cannot make back-to-back appointments. However, if you made an appointment and wish to return as a walk-in on the same day, this is allowed. There is no guarantee that a tutor will be available.
Tutoring sessions can either be 30 minutes or 60 minutes. Students with accommodations can receive more time as stipulated by their Memorandum of Accommodations (MOA).
Walk-in sessions are basically same-day appointments. Therefore, they can be as short as 30 minutes, but no longer than 60 minutes. After you have met with the tutor for 60 minutes, you can ask the tutor to assist you with setting up a scheduled appointment for another day.
You can make up to two scheduled 60-minute appointments, or four 30-minute appointments, for a total of two hours per week.
Walk-in sessions are basically same-day appointments. They cannot be any more than 60 minutes, and they are based on tutor availability only. Scheduled appointments are done in advance, and are usually 30 minutes to 60 minutes.
- To make recommendations to help you become a more efficient student.
- To assist you in setting goals.
- To help you with challenging problems, but not do your homework for you.
- To help you find resources that are available to aid you with your studies.
- To use ‘question and answer’ techniques to identify areas of concern.
- To use examples to demonstrate concepts and theories, providing opportunity for practice.
- To treat you with respect and dignity, and to keep private information confidential.
You should bring all academic support materials to each tutoring session (textbook, notes, homework, pen/pencil, calculator, syllabus, etc.). You should also have at least attempted your homework assignment prior to coming to the tutoring session. If you are coming for a writing session, please note that you cannot email your paper to the tutor, and you should have a printed copy for review when you attend your session.
Please note that all tutors and all students must follow this policy as a guideline for any academic assistance. More details can be found here.
If you are unable to attend your session, you should do at least one of the following within 24 hours of your scheduled appointment:
- Call 703.530.2893 to inform us of your inability to attend your session;
- Email us at email@example.com.
If we don’t offer tutoring for your course, please contact your instructor for more assistance. Also, please feel free to utilize our web page for resources on your course. We may not have a tutor for your subject, but we may have online resources available that you can use.