Have you heard? Twenty $100 grants towards educational costs at NOVA will be raffled off throughout the 2015-2016 academic year to randomly selected students who successfully completeCashCourse coursework modules. What is CashCourse you say? Well, CashCourse is a web-based financial literacy platform created by the National Endowment for Financial Education (NEFE) to help college students learn real-life personal financial management skills. It’s completely 100% free, it’s easy to use, it has no commercial ties, and it’s now available to the entire NOVA community atwww.cashcourse.org. On the CashCourse website you will find a variety of great resources such as short articles, videos, worksheets, calculators and message boards on various financial management topics that are relevant to college students.
Personal finances are often cited as one of the top concerns and challenges for college students, but that doesn’t have to become your story! You may join students at over 800 colleges nationwide who are already using CashCourse to enhance their financial management knowledge and their ability to make better financial decisions. By using CashCourse to get your finances under control you can potentially reduce your stress, improve your academic performance, and save money! Plus, you can be entered to win one of the twenty $100 grants!
Official CashCourse Contest rules are provided below.
In order to be eligible to potentially win one of the twenty $100 grants you must do the following:
- Register for CashCourse at CashCourse.org as a student, provide your NOVA student email address during the registration process, and select Northern Virginia Community College as your school when you register.
- Sign into CashCourse as a student at CashCourse.org using the username and password you created in the first step above. Click on “Financial Tools” on the left side of the CashCourse homepage and select “Coursework”.
- Complete the Coursework topics listed below by their respective due dates and receive a post-test score of at least 80% to be entered into the drawing for that Coursework module.
– The “Budgeting Basics” module must be completed before 11:59pm on October 20, 2015.
– The “Be Credit Savvy” module must be completed before 11:59pm on December 20, 2015.
– The “Getting Started with Saving and Investing” module must be completed before 11:59pm on March 6, 2016.
– The “Paying Back Student Loans” module must be completed before 11:59pm on May 8, 2016.
– The “Making the Most of Employee Benefits” module must be completed before 11:59pm on June 10, 2016.
- You must be enrolled in at least three credits at NOVA during Fall 2015 to be entered in the “Budgeting Basics” and/or the “Be Credit Savvy” drawing. You must be enrolled in at least three credits at NOVA during Spring 2016 to be entered in the “Getting Started with Saving and Investing” and/or the “Paying Back Student Loans” drawing. You must be enrolled in at least three credits at NOVA during Summer 2016 to be entered in the “Making the Most of Employee Benefits” drawing.
There will be four $100 grant drawings for each of the five coursework modules shortly after the due date for each module to randomly select students who meet the requirements outlined above. Students who are selected to receive a $100 grant will be notified via their NOVA student email account within 30 days after the due date for the module and the $100 grant will be applied toward their NOVA student account. If students have a $0 balance at the time the grant is applied toward their account then it will create a credit balance that is refunded in accordance with the College’s refund policies. Students may set up their refund preferences https://nvcc.afford.com/refunds. Over-awards created by the additional grant, though unlikely, would be
resolved in the best interest of the student.
Please note that students are permitted to retake the CashCourse coursework modules if necessary to improve their post-test score to at least 80% to be entered into the drawings. However, students will not receive multiple drawing entries for successfully completing a particular coursework module more than once. If a student successfully completes all five coursework modules the student will be entered into the drawings for each module and could potentially win up to five $100 grants. Each module should take approximately 30 minutes or less to complete. This contest is open to all NOVA students who meet the requirements outlined above. However, please note that NOVA faculty and staff who happen to be taking classes at NOVA are not eligible for the $100 grant drawings. Odds of winning a $100 grant will depend on how many students successfully complete each coursework module. If you have any questions about CashCourse or the drawings, please contact the Financial Aid Support Center at 1-855-323-3199.
The following is an update to the contest rules outline above:
Attention ELI Students! If an individual is participating in this contest as an ELI student (enrolled in at least three online course credits),meets the requirements outlined above and is selected through the random drawing, they will receive the $100 prize as a gift card that can be used at one of NOVA’s Bookstores instead of a $100 grant applied toward their student account. There will still be four $100 grant drawings for each of the five coursework modules, but these grants can only be awarded to students who are enrolled in less than three ELI credits. There will be four separate drawings for $100 bookstore gift cards for each of the five coursework modules that can only be awarded to students who are taking three or more ELI credits. In total there will be twenty $100 grants offered to non-ELI students and twenty $100 bookstore gift cards offered to ELI students who successfully complete the CashCourse modules in accordance with the contest rules. If not enough students complete the modules to qualify for the drawings then the unused funds will be returned to the donor.