This position provides medical laboratory services in support of patient care and treatment.
- Performs testing in the Microbiology, Chemistry, Serology, Hematology, Coagulation, Urinalysis, and Immunohematology sections including specimen receipt, preparation, analysis, and reporting of results.
- Calculates test results and measures prescribed quantities of samples during tests.
- Notice pertinent morphology/staining details of specimens under microscopic examination.
- Performs a wide variety of laboratory tests either manually or using automated instruments.
- Evaluates quality control information against measurable criteria in the performance of laboratory tests.
- Performs precise and accurate laboratory testing according to established laboratory procedures.
- Receives written requisitions from health care providers for routine and special laboratory tests.
- Sets up and adjusts laboratory equipment and apparatus.
- Obtains laboratory specimens directly from patients by venipuncture, instruct patient and staff on proper specimen collection.
- Add reagents or indicator solutions and subjects specimens to various laboratory operations according to established procedures.
- Prepares slides for microscopic analysis as necessary.
- Observes test reactions, changes of color, or formation of precipitates; studies or subjects treated specimens to automatic analyzing equipment to make qualitative and quantitative analysis.
- Records test results to logs and requests slips and file reports in the health record.
- Brings to the attention of the Supervisor any unusual or grossly abnormal test results.
- Performs light general cleaning of work areas such as collection of trash, autoclaving of specimens, cleaning of bench tops and light dusting.
- Prepares specimens for transport to outside laboratory if necessary.
- Prepare biological waste for proper disposal.
- Perform and document required equipment maintenance as required.
- Adhere to infection control procedures including the use of personal protective equipment and proper waste disposal.
- Participate in required equipment, in-service training and continuing medical education.
- Ensure safe work environment and employ safe work habits.
- Perform other duties as needed and assigned.
The job qualifications for this position are as follows:
- Must possess a Degree in Medical Technology from a program accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
- Certification as a Medical Laboratory Technologist by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP), National Credentialing Agency for Laboratory Personnel (NCA), or American Medical Technologists (AMT).
- One year related experience preferred.
- Have and maintain current certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support (BLS).
- Shall be able to read, write, and speak English well enough to effectively communicate with patients and other staff members.
- Have knowledge of computer operations and proficiency in the use of basic word processing, data entry, and automated records.
Physical and Environmental Demands:
The physical and environmental demands of this position are as follows:
- Regular attendance required
- Occasional standing and bending
- Considerable walking
- Lifting and carrying medical equipment/files
- Moderate stress
- Position may require long hours during critical deadlines
- Prolonged telephone use
- Prolonged work on a PC/Computer