- Ensure the data quality integrity and compliance
- Protect the security of medical records to ensure that Privacy and confidentiality is maintained.
- Review records for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with regulations.
- Manage and audit user access of patient medical records.
- Assign the patient to diagnosis-related groups (DRGs), using appropriate computer software.
- Process patient admission or discharge documents.
- The certificate may be international
- Informational interviews: https://www.ahima.org/careers/healthinfo
- Health Information credentials:
- RHIT (associate degree) RHIA (bachelor’s degree) encompass all of coding plus…management, legal compliance, informatics, analysis, EHR, and reimbursement.
- Coding Credentials:
- CCA (entry-level credential both out and inpatient)
Mastery Levels (specialized) CCA plus one (1) year of coding experience
- CCS (inpatient, long term: Acute Care, residential, assisted living)
- CCS-P (outpatient: higher-level codes)
Career Direction: https://my.ahima.org/careermap
Coding and Revenue
- Auditor, clinical documentation specialist, HIM revenue cycle auditor, and Benefits coordinator
- HIM Supervisor
Information Governance: Who sees the information and how
Data Analytics: Data Quality Assurance roles
Informatics: Getting the information: Data analyst, clinical coordinator, and research and development
Salary: AHIMA Salary snapshot: http://www.ahima.org/downloads/2016_Salary_Snapshot_FINAL_2.pdf
- My Next Move: https://www.mynextmove.org/profile/summary/29-2071.00
- ONet: https://www.onetonline.org/
NOVA’s Program: https://www.nvcc.edu/medical/divisions/allied/him.html