Category Archives: Enrollment Services

Transcript evaluation- What will Transfer?

If you have attended college prior to NOVA, you should request your official transcript from each institution attended. Additionally for  Nursing applicants you should  request your high school records as well. In order to know what will officially  transfer to NOVA, you must have each transcript evaluated by the College Records Office.  Simply submit your official transcript at any campus along with a Transcript Evaluation Request form (125-049).  The process takes approximately four to six weeks.

It is pertinent that you begin this process as soon as possible.   If you have other types of transfer credit such as AP, IB , ClEP follow the same steps.

If you would like to know what will transfer to NOVA, you may use the Transfer Credit Evaluation database maintained by the College Records Office.  


Please be aware that NOVA will only accept transfer credit from other universities that have been accredited by one of the following agencies.

  • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Middle States
  • Commission of Higher Education
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges Commission on Institutions of Higher Education
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools Higher Learning Commission
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges
  •  Western Association of Schools and Colleges Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities

Please note that NOVA does not accept transfer credit from schools accredited by: Association Of Independent Colleges And Universities or National Association of Independent Colleges & Universities. 




Virtual MEC Exchange Workshops

For everything you ever wanted to know about the MEC’s Allied Health & Nursing Programs…

June 12th and June 23rd

An MEC Academic Advisor will present information about the admission process for Allied Health and Nursing Programs. The presentation is live and interactive. Please register for the upcoming workshop or check the site for other dates and times!

Interested?  Sign up via our Website,

Transcript Evaluation: Will this course come over to the MEC?

One of the biggest referrals we receive at MEC has to do with transcript evaluation and whether courses will transfer into Nursing and Allied Health programs.   Please read the following below about  the transcript evaluation process at MEC:

  • Students should submit their official college transcript (sealed and unopened) to MEC Campus Student Services (Rm. 202).  They can bring it in or have it mailed directy to our department.
  • Students must complete a NOVA Request for Evaluation of Transcript form (125-049) and submit to MEC Campus Student Services.  On the form students should indicate their MEC program of interest where indicated. 
  • Like other NOVA campuses, the transcript evaluation form and transcripts are sent to the College Records Office for evaluation.  They must allow the college up to 6 weeks for the transcript to be evaluated.
  • Transcript evaluators will be looking to see if students can transfer in pre-requisite courses and general education courses only.  If there is a math placement requirement for entry, they will also look to transfer in any applicable MTH course.  They do not transfer in unrelated courses to the major, Nursing, and Allied Health classes.  Any students wanting to transfer in Nursing or Allied Health classes must contact the academic department directly.
  • If students have a confirmed U.S. associates degree (A.A. or A.S.) or higher, they will receive a general education waiver (please see exceptions in the College’s advanced standing manual) and will not see specifically the ENG and SDV courses on their NOVA transcript.  This throws a lot of students off in believing that they did not receive any credit for those courses.  Therefore, students should check their Degree Progress Report for the General Education Met By External Degree statement (True or False).  [If an Allied Health  program STILL requires a specific English course with a specific grade (B or higher, etc.), our department will look for those grades to determine admissions eligibility]
  • College science (BIO, CHM, NAS, etc.), computer (ITE),  and pharmocology (HLT 250) are career/technical courses at MEC that must be current and will not be accepted for program admission (where applicable) and transfer if they were taken more than 10 years ago.

Therefore, it is important to understand that the questions regarding what will transfer to MEC will be answered upon completion of the transcript evaluation processs (not by MEC counselors or advisors during walk-in advising).  Students need to plan and keep in mind the deadline for admission into their program of interest because they need to give up to 6 weeks for transcript evaluation to be completed (upon the receipt of the transcript(s) and form).  

Students will receive an email upon completion of the transcript evaluation by the College Records Office.  If they have inquiries they can email  If there are questions about the status of MEC international transcript evaluation, they can email It helps the process when students submit their completed transcript evaluation form (indicating any name changes-maiden name, etc.)  and official transcript together to MEC Student Services. 

If students are are awaiting the results of the transcript evaluation, they can work with any NOVA advisor or counselor at any campus to identify courses required for admission that they clearly have not taken in the past.  If students are unsure or uncertain about their impending results, then they can wait until the transcript evaluation process is complete before proceeding with registration. 

Please comment if you have any questions!