NOVA Idol Auditions
Are you the next great NOVA singing sensation? Come and show us what you’ve got. NOVA Idol is back!
Auditions are taking place this week all over NOVA. MEC auditions will be held this Thursday (11/7) from 4-8pm in the faculty lounge (HE 340J). Each contestant must sing without accompaniment for no longer than two minutes. You must be a NOVA student or an area high school student to be eligible to compete.
The Semi-Final competition will be held on Friday, January 24th.
Finalists will receive vocal coaching and will be required to attend rehearsals for the final competition which will be held on Friday, March 21st.
Cash prize for NOVA Idol winners: $8,000
Cash prize for High School winners: $1,500
Happy First Day of Summer!
Make sure you take a break from your studies and enjoy the sunshine. Don’t forget to protect yourself when doing activities outside. Here are some tips from the American Heart Association on how to stay healthy while staying active in the summer months.
- Hydrate! Drink plenty of water before, during and after physical activity to avoid dehydration. For low-calorie flavor, add slices of your favorite fruits such as melon, oranges, berries or even cucumber or mint to a pitcher of water and refrigerate for two hours.
- Protect your family from the sun: wear wide-brimmed hats, always apply water-resistant sunscreen with at least SPF 15 and reapply sunscreen every 2 hours.
- Heat safety: avoid intense activities between noon and 3 p.m. when the sun is at its strongest.
- Dress for the heat: wear lightweight, light colored clothing, choose light, breathable fabrics such as cotton, and wear sunglasses to protect your eyes.
- Head indoors: when the heat gets unbearable, try indoor activities at your local YMCA or rec center like basketball, swimming, yoga or racquetball.
Thanks to everyone that participated in our contests during National Library Week. Name That Microbe and the Haiku Contest were both big hits. And now we have winners to announce!
Name that Microbe Winners:
Haiku Contest Winners:
1st Place Sandra Dyhouse
Twirling with the Books
Closer to my dream I dance
Ten, ten, ten, my scores
2nd Place Sophia Bagoulla
Mind full of wonder
And so much these books entail
Absorb the knowledge!
3rd Place Silvia Chavez
It’s library time!
Make sure you leave stress out
Come on relax now!
Congratulations to all our winners!
(Pictures coming soon)
April 22, 2013
Today is Earth Day and we here at MEC are celebrating our beautiful planet. Check out the Earth Day Celebration happening on the MEC campus from 11am to 3pm.
You can also help contribute to keeping our planet healthy by participating in National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day this Saturday, April 27th, 10am-2pm. MEC, along with the Alexandria campus, is serving as a collection site. Bring in your unused/unwanted/expired medication for proper disposal.
There are activities going on throughout the week on many of the NOVA campuses. Join in on the fun and learn about how you can help protect the planet.
Mon., April 22:
11am-3pm Earth Day Celebration – Medical Campus
11am-3pm Earth Day: ‘Green Heads – Create your own Plant’ – Woodbridge Campus
12pm-4pm Climate Change Symposium – Annandale Campus
12pm-3:30pm Earth Day Celebration – Alexandria Campus
5pm-9pm Terra Secundum: ECO-Art – GMU Fairfax
Tues., April 23:
2pm-4pm Green Town Hall – Alexandria Campus
Thurs., April 25:
11am-10pm Environmental Film Festival – Alexandria Campus
Fri., April 26:
1pm-4pm Environmental Movie & Discussion: “The 11th Hour” – Manassas Campus
Sat., April 27:
10am-2pm National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day – Medical Campus, Alexandria Campus
The MEC Library staff wants to thank everyone who came to the Breakfast on Friday, April 19th to celebrate National Library Week. We think it was a huge success!