Fourth of July
The Fourth of July is coming up next Thursday and we are excited to celebrate Independence Day! In celebration of this national holiday, all NVCC campuses and offices will be closed on July 4th including the MEC Library. Don’t worry though, we will be open and ready to help you with all of your library needs on Friday, July 5th.
Since we like to celebrate here at MEC, come join in on the campus celebration at the campus summer cookout on July 2nd from 11am-3pm on Corkers Patio.
Check out some other Fourth of July activities happening here in the Northern Virginia area.
- Fireworks on the National Mall Viewing – Marine Corps War Memorial (Iwo Jima), Air Force Memorial on Columbia Pike, Long Bridge Park, George Washington Memorial Parkway
- An American Celebration at Mount Vernon – 8am to 5pm
- Long Bridge Park – All day festival. Noon – after fireworks at 9:15pm
- Fairfax City, Independence Day Parade – 10am. Musical entertainment (7pm) and fireworks at Fairfax High School
- Falls Church, George Mason High School – live music starting at 7pm followed by fireworks at 9:20pm
- Herndon, Herndon Community Center – Rides open at 5pm. Music, crafts, bingo, games at 6:30pm. Fireworks at 9:30pm
- Leesburg, Ida Lee Park. Gates open at 6pm. Fireworks 9:30pm
- Manassas – Live Music, children’s activities, food and fireworks. Entertainment begins at 4pm. Fireworks 9:15pm
- McLean, Langley High School – Open at 8pm, fireworks at 9:15pm
- Reston, Lake Fairfax Park – Fireworks 9:15pm
- Vienna, Vienna Community Center – Arts and crafts, food, live music, vendors, and games. Starts 11am. Fireworks 9:15pm
- Williamsburg, Colonial Williamsburg – Live entertainment, Virginia Symphony Orchestra, fireworks. Begins 5pm. Fireworks 9:20pm
- Fireworks on the National Mall – public access to the National Mall begins at 10am, start time around 9:15pm
- Washington, DC’s Independence Day Parade – 11:45am, Constitution Avenue and 7th to 17th Sts.
- Smithsonian Folklife Festival – 11am – 5pm
- 4th of July at the National Archives – 10am – 5:30pm
- Concert on the Washington Monument Grounds – Navy Band Commodores Jazz Ensemble at the WWII Memorial at 10:30am, Navy Band Country Current at the Lincoln Memorial at 5pm; schedule is tentative
- A Capitol Fourth Concert – 8 – 9:30pm, admittance begins at 3pm, West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol. Free and open to the public