Counselors are professionals who are available to assist you in your educational career and life planning. They can help you to make effective decisions and to deal with problems that you may be facing while attending the College. Nature of Counseling and Advising Services:
It may be appropriate to meet with a counselor for one or more of the following issues:
- Adjusting to college and managing the new academic environment
- Academic advising and declaring a major
- Disabilities that impair functioning in class
- Temporary personal issues impacting academic performance
- Uncertainty about career or academic major
- Brainstorming strategies to be successful and to effectively manage concerns
- Clarifying program and transfer requirements
- Tools for effective communication and decision-making
Do I Need an Appointment?
In most cases, you can receive services any time through walk-in advising. If you require special services the front desk can help arrange an appointment with a specific counselor.
Mental Health Referrals:
Students who need more intensive or ongoing services should discuss referral options with their counselor. Often students who have health insurance can find reimbursable mental health options in the community. There are also a few options for non-insured students, or for students who do not have mental health coverage on their insurance plans.
Other resources for mental health referrals that you can access include:
- 211 Virginia: Dial 2-1-1 to get referred, or visit
- 24 hour Sexual Assault Services Hotline: 703-338-0834,