Increasing expectations for productivity and perfection placed on each of us in a world of “Go! Go! Go!” can bring about feelings of frustration, failure, and negativity. Having a rainbow of emotions is something we all experience and have to manage. At times, feeling low or upset can make getting through the day seem impossible, and that the world expects you to ALWAYS smile through your pain. Healthy positivity entails being honest about your feelings and expectations with yourself and others, not expecting or trying to attain perfection, and acknowledging your mood has direct implications on your outlook and output in a given day.
Reciting daily affirmations is a tool to help combat negativity. You can try the examples below, and may enjoy coming up with your own. Place them in locations you encounter early in your day, like your bathroom mirror or refrigerator door. Consider using objects, like keychains, or participating in The Kindness Rocks Project . You can also utilize an app, like ThinkUp (iOS and Android devices.), to search affirmations and record your own, or put an affirmation in the subject line of your phone alarm clock. Remember: “You are what you think!”
- I am loved, and I am lovable.
- I am enough.
- I let go of past hurts as they no longer serve me.
- I am capable.
- I will not compare myself to strangers on the internet.
- I will utilize my talents today.
- I wake up today with strength in my heart, and clarity in my mind.
- My fears of the unknown are fading away.
- I’m getting stronger every day.
- I can do this.
- I have the courage to say no.
- I will not take negativity from others personally.
- This is my body, and I love it.
- It is fine for me to make mistakes; I will use them to grow.
- I will not apologize for being myself.
- My goals are my focus.
- Success is in my future.
- I will not sweat the small stuff.
- I will work smarter, not harder.
- I will celebrate the small victories.
NOVACares does not endorse the application referenced above; it is included for illustrative purposes only.