Scholarship awards are for one year and will be paid directly to the recipient’s college or university to cover tuition, books, and/or fees.
October 3, 2016
Application available at:
Valhen Scholarship Program
Date: Friday, March 3, 2017
Event: VALHEN’s 2017 Encuentro
Place: Hosted by Virginia Commonwealth University
- Be of Latino/Hispanic heritage;
- Live in Virginia;
- Have a minimum 2.5 GPA (on a 4.0 scale);
- Be a graduate of a Virginia high school and either have been accepted to, or be already enrolled as a full-time student in, a degree-granting public or private Virginia college or university;
- Be able to demonstrate leadership through involvement in school and in the community, government, non-profit organization, work/job duties, or in another manner not mentioned here.
- Important Note: An essay of 300-500 words is required of all applicants.
Finalists will be required to submit:
- An official transcript
- Contact information for three references: 1) a teacher; 2) a peer; 3) a non-teacher (but not family member). References will be contacted by VALHEN.
- An interview may be required.
Winners will be contacted by VALHEN, and will be:
- Present at the March 2017 Encuentro Luncheon to receive the award. Winners will receive complimentary ticket for parent or guardian.
Winners will be required to sign a waiver allowing VALHEN to post his/her bio and photo on the VALHEN website and to use this information in a Press Release announcing the scholarship winners.
The Virginia Latino Higher Education Network