This article is part one in a three part series that provides readers with an overview of the career development process designed to help you identify your path and continue on your journey.
Stop for a minute and answer the following questions:
- Are you thinking about pursuing a degree at NOVA, but are unsure as to what degree and program to select?
- Are you considering transferring to a four year institution to continue your studies, but are unsure which major to pursue?
- Are you trying to decide on a career to pursue, but are unsure where to begin your exploration?
- Are you trying to find a job or gain practical experience, but are unsure where to begin your search?
If you answered “yes” to any of the questions above, look no further than NOVA’s Career Services website to help you get started finding answers. The Career Development Process section of the website provides an overview of a four step process that will help you with the following: 1) understanding self, 2) exploring careers, 3) making decisions, and 4) finding employment. The career development process begins with self-assessment.
Step 1: Understanding Self
When was the last time you thought about what you really enjoy doing? During this step you will focus on gaining a better understanding of yourself by identifying your interests, personality, skills, and values through career assessments. The results of the assessments will identify potential career options for you to consider and explore. A list of free assessments and resources can be found on the website.
One resource to try now – FOCUS 2.
FOCUS 2 is an online career and education planning system that can help you –
- Select a program/major based on your interests and aspirations.
- Discover occupations matching your personal preferences and attributes.
- Map out your career plans, present and future.
- Make informed career decisions.
NOVA’s Career Counselors are available to assist you with each step of the career development process.
Article by Christy Jensen-NOVA Academic/Career Counselor.
November is National Career Development Month. Check NOVA’s Career Services website for information about programs being offered virtually and across the College in support of NCDM.