The idea of taking an online course with NOVA Online is amazing! The flexibility of not having to travel to campus and working on assignments when it is convenient for you sounds like a dream come true. But how will you keep from procrastinating and falling behind? What tools will you use to help manage your time? How will you feel connected to your classmates and instructor? What you will do when something unexpected occurs?
If you are new to online learning you might be a little anxious about what to anticipate and what some of the challenges might be. The How to Stay Motivated and Disciplined in an Online Course online workshop from Student Lingo highlights some of the common difficulties that online students experience such as procrastinating, poor time management, feeling disconnected with faculty and staff and managing the unexpected.
By taking a few minutes to view this on demand workshop:
- You will have a head start on what to anticipate.
- Know how to navigate those challenging situations before they even happen and then when they do,
- You will have a plan in place to ensure you stay on track.
As a Success Coach, I tell my students all the time “Knowing is half the battle!” By watching this Student Lingo online workshop you are going to get a sneak peek into the life of an online student. By doing so you are going to know what to expect and be able to better prepare from the very first day of your first online course.
Plan on taking away tools to help:
- Create a schedule and ideas on how to break up assignments in turn allowing to build in time for unexpected situations.
- Know how to use the syllabus can be used as a guide to keep you on track with homework, projects and tests.
Develop strategies to connect with your classmates and instructor.
When you register for college courses you are investing your time and money. Invest in your success by watching this short presentation! Take some time afterwards to reflect and then develop some action steps to implement as soon as your online course begins.
- You know yourself as a student, what aspect of online learning is going to be the most challenging for you?
- Think about the resources provided in the presentation and write down three actionable steps you will take during the first week of your online course that are going to help you be successful.
Remember a driving force in your success as an online student is meeting deadlines and holding yourself accountable. Commit to completing your three action items the first week of class! Liked the How to Stay Motivated and Disciplined in an Online Course Workshop? View more on-demand workshops from Student Lingo to help you succeed in your online courses.
-Laura, NOVA Online Student Success Coach