Whether you are new or a seasoned online learner, it is important to plan well and be aware of NOVA Online’s testing requirements. All NOVA Online courses require proctored exams or assignments. For more about NOVA’s testing policies, view the Testing Information Website.
NOVA Online offers three methods to fulfill this requirement:
Campus Testing Centers
Students that live in the local area can use any Campus Testing Center. All 6 campuses have a testing center, and it doesn’t matter which one you go to throughout the term. When using a Campus Testing Center:
- Know the Hours of the Campus Testing Center: Be aware of testing center hours, location, and parking available for the campus you are going to. Double check campus testing center hours before going to campus, just in case!
- Plan Well: Do not wait until the last minute to take your exam – it is possible that you could be turned away from the testing center if lines are long and you have not provided enough time to wait and then take the test. As you plan, consider the possibility of traffic, weather, parking, lines, etc.
- Review Your Course Syllabus: Before going to take your test, be sure you are aware of your exam requirements. Any special information about your test should be referenced in your syllabus. Are you allowed to have a note card, scratch paper, etc.? Check your syllabus and be aware of your test conditions.
- Exam Pass/Photo ID: When you arrive at the testing center, you will need to turn in your Exam Pass and show a photo ID. You will need to print your exam pass from the Taking Exams and Using Exam Passes section your course Syllabus.
- Checking In: When you check-in, you will be asked to stow away your personal belongings in a secure locker. You may want to bring minimal items with you.
- Multiple Exams: If you are taking more than one exam, you will be required to have an exam pass for each exam and wait in the line for each exam. Please plan accordingly.
- Be Prepared: Be sure to get plenty of rest and eat a healthy meal or snack before testing. You may also want to consider a short walk to clear your mind before going into the testing center.
Out of Area: Proctor Request
If you are out of the area, or planning to be out of the area at any point throughout your course, you will need to identify a Proctor to supervise your NOVA Online exams. If you have not already, you should begin the process immediately.
Virginia residents (outside of Northern Virginia): You may take your exams at any Virginia Community College testing center, via our online proctoring service, ProctorU, if it is available in your course (check the availability of this service in your course under Exams), or at the testing center of another Virginia college/university at which you are a student (submit a proctor request form for approval). Use the College Locator feature on the Virginia Community College System (VCCS) website to find a college near you.
Students in other states/outside the US: You may take your exams at a college/university testing center near you (submit a proctor request form for approval), or via our online proctoring service, ProctorU, if it is available in your course. Check the availability of this service in your course under Exams.
- It is the student’s responsibility to secure a proctor and to pay any related fees.
- To request a proctor, complete the NOVA Online Proctor Request Form and submit it with your Proctor’s statement on letterhead to NOVA Online Course Specialists at email@example.com.
- Requests for proctored exams and proctors must be approved by NOVA Online. NOVA Online reserves the right to reject requests for proctors for any reason.
ProctorU Testing Service
ProctorU might be an option for one or more of your classes, and allow you to take your exams from your home computer. Using a webcam with a microphone, speakers, and a reliable high-speed internet connection, you can take your exams anywhere. Courses offering this option will have the ProctorU Information in the course Blackboard under the links, Taking Exams and Using Exam Passes in your course Syllabus. If you choose to use this online proctoring service:
- You will need to schedule to take your exam(s) through ProctorU at least 72 hours prior to testing to avoid a late fee.
- An associate from the ProctorU will scan your room to ensure no one else is in the room and that the area is clear of books, papers, etc.
- You must be 18 or older and be prepared to show a current photo ID prior to the exam.
- You must have speakers & microphone and a webcam connected to your computer and in working order.
- You cannot take bathroom breaks during the exam and no one is allowed in the room with you.
- Please note there is a 15 to 30 minute period before you begin your exam itself to verify your identity, to ensure your testing environment is secure, and to ensure your system is working properly. Do not schedule your exam at the last minute.
Regardless of your method of testing, the NOVA Online Success Coaches are here to help you succeed in your NOVA Online courses. We offer online workshops, referrals, ELife Blogs with testing tips and more. NOVA Online Success Coaches can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.764.5076.
We wish you much success on your exams and remind you that when testing, you may only use materials your proctor specifically tells you may be used, based on instructions from the instructor. Also, as a NOVA Online student, you are required to follow the code of conduct as outlined in the NOVA Student Handbook.
For more about NOVA’s testing policies, view the Testing Information Website.
Written by Adrienne, NOVA Online Student Success Coach