“This Land is Our Land”- Well, it is Planet Earth’s Land: The Ideas, Principles, Commitments & Dreams are Ours

Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument, Crow Agency, Montana

“Our Land” is not defined or categorized by geography or power, education or color, gender or age, wealth or health”. As I reflect on the events of recent weeks, and the traditions and rituals of our quadrennial celebration of the people’s elected choice of President and Vice President to lead “Our Land”, one thought and emotion is stronger and clearer than all others –  “Our Land” is one defined by our ongoing commitment to Justice, Fairness, Integrity, Humanity, Decency and Democracy!

El Capitan, Yosemite National Park, California

The rivers and the valleys, the mountains and the islands, the woods and the waters, the canyons and the springs, are in our trust, but they are not ours to deplete and destroy, to exploit and stress, to assault and lay waste.                                                       

Grand Prismatic Hot Spring, Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming

We are fortunate that the natural resources are here to support, nourish, shelter, grow, and guide us as we journey on “The Hill We Climb” in the inspiring words of Amanda Gorman, our amazing National Youth Poet Laureate – to strengthen, broaden, deepen and empower the Ideas, the Principles and the Dreams of “Our Land”.

Antelope Canyon, Navajo Nation, Arizona

Through this devastating pandemic, racial injustice and unrest, economic and social upheaval we have seen the conscientious dedication, the total commitment, the steadfast strength and courage of millions of first responders, frontline and food service workers, educators and healthcare providers in the face of devastating tragedy, unrelenting pain, suffering and personal sacrifices – they are “Our Land”. We have seen selfless volunteers of all ages, color, gender, language, and ethnicity feed the hungry, transport the needy, comfort the grieving, clothe and shelter all who need it – they are “Our Land”. We have seen young children raise funds for others, one dollar at a time, with lemonade stands and cookies, teens join hands to build desks, distribute hand sanitizers, sew and distribute masks, and children, youths and seniors organize visits, and meals for isolated, ill, elderly, frightened and lonely neighbors and strangers – they are “Our Land”.

Through many decades “Our Land” is the network of compassion, caring, thoughtfulness, integrity, generosity of spirit and strength. It is the forces that arise from and are fed by our desire, dedication and commitment to a present and a future that celebrates, embraces, protects and rejoices in our differences. “Our Land” is the network of volunteers who travel to disaster-stricken areas around the world in times of earthquakes, avalanches, tsunamis, drought, epidemics and numerous tragic man-made crises such as war, rebellion and famine. The volunteers bring their expertise, experience, compassion, and they carry medical supplies, food, clothing, shelter and emergency rescue equipment donated and collected by thousands of other volunteers.  “Our Land” has faced numerous challenges, and will continue to do so,  but the solutions, the progress, the healing, the support and the understanding has come and will continue to come from within our own commitment to democracy, justice, and humanity. “Our Land” aches and suffers as instruments and forces of hate, destruction, divisiveness, racism, sexism and misogyny try to destroy, but “Our Land” survives and strengthens as forces of good, love, decency and truth succeed in nurturing and building.

Badlands National Park, South Dakota

More than three decades ago, I had the privilege to participate in the formal Oath ceremony to become a naturalized American citizen. For several years I had already held “the Green Card” as it was then called – the permanent immigant visa for living, working, owning property, paying taxes, and traveling freely in and out of the US. Then in the late eighties we made the decision to apply for US citizenship, started the process, the preparation for the mandatory citizenship test, and the in-person interview and test. Interestingly, several of my American born friends were very surprised at the extensive detailed information that was required to be learned in preparation for the test, and they expressed great relief that they were not required to answer any such questions, as they stated quite strongly that they would surely “fail” the test!

I had many complex emotions, poignant thoughts and moving moments throughout the Oath ceremony at the Federal District Court, Alexandria. There was joy and gratitude, highs and lows, sorrow and heart-tugging pangs, as I solemnly took the Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America, which I had made my home, where my children were born, lived, and were being raised,  but it also required me to renounce allegiance to and citizenship of India – the land where I was born and raised, where my mother, my father, my extended family lived, where my foremothers and forefathers had lived, successfully struggled for Independence, and died! I vividly recall that it was then that I consciously and gratefully embraced the good fortune of having two homelands, two cultures, and two sets of traditions of commitment to democracy – the world’s largest democracy, India, and the world’s second largest democracy, USA.  I cherish and value the belief in, and commitment, with those who embrace the Ideas, the Principles, the Dreams and Dedication to Democracy, this is “My Land”

Two great deserts, the Mojave Desert and the Colorado Desert come together at Joshua Tree National Park, California