Ebony & Ivory: Live Together in Perfect Harmony – Our 111 Year-Old Yamaha Organ!

My parents Prabha & Shrikrishna Gokhale and our Yamaha Organ

Please click to hear my father playing our Yamaha Organ

The Perfect Harmony of the Life-Long Love story of my parents Prabha and Shrikrishna Gokhale,  the 111 Year-Old Japanese Yamaha Organ owned by my Gokhale family and our link with the Historic Music Tradition started by the legendary Bal Gandharva, hailed as “Nat-Samrat” – the King of Thespians, actor, singer and producer. Bal Gandharva was the first stage producer in India to introduce the organ in place of the harmonium on the Indian musical stage. As I describe below, it was our Gokhale family Yamaha Organ that inspired the great Bal Gandharva to bring the organ to the music stage!

In 1910 Mr. V.J. Gokhale, my father’s uncle, went to Japan to earn a BS degree in Mining Engineering. On completing his studies in 1912, he bought this Organ made by Yamaha in 1910, and brought it back to Pune, India, as a gift for his brother, my grandfather,  Professor R. J. Gokhale, who had a passion for music. For 96 years, this Yamaha Organ was in my Gokhale family home, joyfully played everyday, first by my grandfather, then by my father’s older sisters Tarabai Bapat (nee Gokhale) and Maniktai Ghate (nee Gokhale), then starting in 1923 by my father, Shrikrishna Gokhale, sitting on his sister’s lap, learning to make music with Ebony & Ivory in Perfect Harmony! My father never had a single professional musical lesson, he said the music came with his sister’s guidance and from within.

Please click for a short video of my father playing the organ and signing

It was considered to be the first organ in India, other than the western Church Organs and smaller western organs in private homes in cities such as Bombay and Calcutta.  The renowned author Mr. N C Kelkar, a close friend of my grandfather, brought the legendary Bal Gandharva, the “Nat-Samrat”, to listen to the extraordinarily beautiful musical sounds as my grandfather played the Yamaha Organ. In India, until then, the hand manipulated harmonium or the foot pedaled harmonium was the music instrument used for all stage performances. So fascinated by its unique sweet tone was Bal Gandharva, that he ordered three similar organs from an European Company, which soon became the primary accompaniment, instead of the harmonium, in all his musical dramas there after.

This organ has been the cornerstone of many an evening in the Gokhale family home, across India, over the years, appreciated by many generations of music greats including Sudhir Phadke, Suhasini Mulgaonkar, literary and performing arts greats such as Padma Shri Anant Kanekar, Keshavrao Date, Rohini Bhate, Cricketeer Vijay Merchant and many other Gokhale family members & friends.

In 1942 this Yamaha Organ left the Gokhale home in Pune to travel around India for almost 34 years as my father’s service as an officer in the Indian Railways took him and his new bride, Prabha, to 20 different homes around the country! In 1976 the organ returned to its Pune home with my parents when my father retired from the Indian Railways. On my visits to India over the past fifty years, to their various homes all over India, and finally back to the Gokhale family home in Pune when they retired, the highlight of each day for me was listening as my parents played and sang. They always coaxed me to join in, which I did with a full happy heart that rejoiced in loving and being loved, in belonging and sharing,  and being cherished and cherishing their love story that played each moment of their life together. Surrounded by various family pets, extended family members and friends who would often drop in, there was joy, love and harmony as the sweet sounds of our Yamaha Organ resonated throughout the home.

Please click to hear my mother sing as my father accompanies her on the organ

Throughout our childhood, for my sister Shobha, brother Avinash and me, it was how we knew “All was Right with the World” – each evening, while we played games, created arts and crafts, did homework and read, my parents would have their time together. My father playing, sometimes singing, sometimes accompanying my mother singing, often improvising, some classical India music, some “Natya-Sangeet” songs by Bal Gandharva (music from Indian musical plays), some songs by legends like Pankaj Malik, Talat Mehmood, and sometimes Western music such as “Three Coins in the Fountain “, “At the Balalaika” or “Irene Good Night Irene”. We would join in, albeit sometimes reluctantly as children are apt to do, and sing with them – the songs of days gone by, of current musical plays, and classical music.

My father cared-for, tuned, repaired and restored the organ by himself, as needed, never once calling in a professional organ care technician. He played the organ every single day until the morning he suffered a massive stroke a few weeks after his 80th birthday. He passed away in 2002 and at first none of us could imagine home without our organ, but we soon arrived at the best home for it – In 2008 we happily donated the organ to the historic Raja Dinkar Kelkar Museum, Pune, India.

My mother, Prabha Gokhale, saying Namaskar, Farewell & “Thanks for the Memories Forever”, Raja Dinkar Kelkar Museum, Pune, India.

I, Reva, my sister Shobha and brother Avinash – The Golden Three

All four of my beloved birth Gokhale family – Daddy, Mummy, Shobha and Avi are no more, but the rhythms, heartbeats & sounds of our songs, organ and love play in my heart forever!

I, Reva Savkar, with the Organ, Raja Dinkar Kelkar Museum, Pune, India

Special Foods to Enjoy with Beautiful Music, Hot Chai and Friends & Family!

Sunday Treats: Idli, Sambar, Chatni, Onion & Spinach Pakoras (Bhaji in Marathi) Serves 4-6 

Sambar (Lentil Curry)

Ingredients:

• 3 cups toor dal (dried split yellow lentils available in Indian Grocery Stores)
  • 12 oz baby carrots
  • 2 medium-sized 6 inch long zucchini (or 2 large green bell peppers but I omit as Bob is allergic to peppers)
  • 3 medium-sized 6 inch long eggplant
  • 1 medium – large onion finely chopped
  • 1 bunch scallions chopped ½ inch pieces on the diagonal
  • 12 – 15 small grape or cherry tomatoes sliced in half
  • 1½ tablespoon roasted cumin powder
  • 1½ tablespoon roasted coriander powder
  • 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
  • ½ inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
  • ¼ cup shredded coconut flakes
  • 2 teaspoons “sambar masala” my mother’s recipe (or Indian grocery store)
  • 1 ½  teaspoons canola or olive oil
  • 1 ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
  • 1 teaspoon Indian jaggery (or dark brown sugar)
  • 2 tablespoons tamarind paste (Indian grocery store)
  • ¾ teaspoon black mustard seeds
  • ¾ teaspoon cumin seeds
  • ¾ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
  • ¾ teaspoon asafoetida
  • ¾ teaspoon turmeric
  • 8-10 curry leaves, washed, dried and cut on the slant into 1/4 inch wide slivers
  • 1/3 – 1/2 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (I omit as Bob is allergic to pepper)
  • 2- 3 teaspoons salt to taste (I use Himalayan salt for special flavor)
  • Olive oil spray

Procedure:

1. Wash the dry lentils with cool water three times to remove any surface starch or grit. Please in a large heavy bottomed pot, add water until there is about 2 inches water completely covering the lentils. Bring to a boil and stir, lower heat to medium and cook for about 20 minutes. Slice the zucchini lengthwise and then into 1 inch pieces, slice the carrots on the diagonal into 3/4 inch pieces and add to the cooking lentils. Stir well, add the tamarind paste and water as needed, and cook for 20 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are cooked but firm and not mashed.
  2. Spray a heavy bottomed pan with olive oil, add the Canola oil and heat on medium high heat. Add the mustard seeds and let them gently pop. Then add in order the cumin seeds, asafoetida, turmeric, fenugreek seeds, coconut, and curry leaves, stirring continuously to gently sautee on medium heat for 2 minutes. Make sure they do not burn. Add the onion, garlic and ginger in order, stirring and sauteeing until they are light golden brown. Add the scallions and half the cilantro.
  3. Carefully add this sauteed spice & onion mixture to the pot of lentils and vegetables, stirring well. Add salt to taste and add water as needed for a consistency of thick soup, stir well.
  4. Cook on low-medium heat, stirring gently until the seasonings, sauteed spice & onion mixture, vegetables and  lentils are cooked.
  5. Sprinkle the rest of the chopped cilantro on the sambar

Serve Sambar hot with Idlis (steamed rice& lentil dumplings), Green Coconut Chatni and Onion Spinach Pakoras. Sambar is also delicious with hot brown Basmati rice. Enjoy!

Onion-Spinach Pakoras (Bhaji in Marathi):

Traditionally they are deep fried in oil. I make them in my special “Appam Pan” that requires no oil and no frying and has all the delicious flavor and taste!  (Note: Appam pan is available on Amazon)

Ingredients:

• 12-16 oz chopped frozen spinach or fresh spinach
  • 1 large onion finely chopped
  • 1 cup chickpea flour (besan in Marathi)
  • 1½ tablespoon roasted cumin powder
  • ½ teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon salt (to your taste)

Procedure:

1. Defrost the spinach, squeeze all the liquid out, add the chopped onion and scallions, place in a microwave-safe bowl and cook for 5-6  minutes.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients, mix well, and shape into 1 inch flat balls
  3. Place 12 at a time into the Appam Pan, cover and cook on medium high heat for 6 minutes until light brown on bottom side. Remove lid, turn pakoras over, cover and cook for 4-5 minutes.

Serve Bhajis with Green Coconut Chatni, Tomato Chutney or Mango Chutney. Enjoy!

Summer Symphony – Ratatouille, Avocado, Quinoa & Egg

Serves 4 

(Clockwise from top center Ratatouille, avocado, quinoa, egg)

Ingredients:

• 2 medium-sized 6 inch long zucchini
  • 2 medium-sized 6 inch long yellow squash
  • 3 medium-sized 4 inch long eggplant
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 packet silken tofu (400 g) drained well
  • 1 medium sweet onion
  • 1 bunch scallions
  • 12 – 15 small grape or cherry tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoons caraway seeds
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil  (I use olive spray)
  • 1½ – 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
  • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or use dried herbs to taste)
  • 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 1½ -2 teaspoons salt to taste (I use Himalayan salt for special flavor)
  • Olive oil spray

Procedure:

1. Vegetables: Cut the zucchini, yellow squash and eggplant into 1 inch pieces. Peel and cut the sweet onion into ½ inch pieces. Slice the scallions on the diagonal into ½ inch pieces. Slice the tomatoes into halves and Shredded Potato Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Silken Tofu: Drain the tofu, wrap in folded layers of kitchen towel, press gently to remove the moisture and tofu is dry. Slice tofu into 1 inch pieces and then gently crumble.
  3. Ratatouille: Use olive oil spray to coat the inside of a heavy bottomed pan, place on medium heat and sautee the crumbled tofu with ½ teaspoon garlic powder, stirring continuously until light golden brown. Remove tofu, spray the pan with more olive with olive oil, add the sliced onions, caraway seeds and half the scallions. Stir often to allow onions to brown lightly, add tomatoes, all the cut vegetables, remaining garlic, Italian seasoning and sautee on medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Add 3-4 tablespoons of water and continue to sautee, making sure they do not burn. Add the thyme, salt, and vinegar stirring well, add more water if needed, cover, reduce heat to low medium, cook for 15- 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. until the vegetables are cooked and soft but not mashed. Add tofu crumbles, remaining scallions, basil, mix well, stirring gently and cook for another 5 minutes.
  4. Egg: lightly spray a large non stick pan with olive oil, bring to medium heat and break 4 eggs, one at a time, into the pan, arranging them evenly around the pan. Sprinkle lightly with salt, gently break the yolks, cook until eggs are set (about 2-3 minutes)

Serve Ratatouille hot with Fried Egg, Tricolor Quinoa garnished with Scallions, sliced Avocado with Lime juice and Himalayan salt: Enjoy!