Please check out IRI’s climate data library: http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/
The IRI/LDEO Climate Data Library contains over 300 datasets from a variety of earth science disciplines and climate-related topics. It is a powerful tool that offers the following capabilities at no cost to the user:
- access any number of datasets;
- create analyses of data ranging from simple averaging to more advanced EOF analyses using the Ingrid Data Analysis Language;
- monitor present climate conditions with maps and analyses in the Maproom;
- create visual representations of data, including animations;
- download data in a variety of commonly-used formats, including GIS-compatible formats.
They also have a map room and an introduction to climate data.
Hidden Patterns of the Civil War by the Digital Scholarship lab, University of Richmond:
This includes mapping Richmond’s slave trade in a 3d model and text mapping! Please take a look!
Click on the link to see geological maps of Volcanoes.
Not exactly GIS, but just in case someone might be interested!