The Virginia Space Grant Consortium awards 90-100 scholarships and fellowships. Please pass this on to your current freshman:
About us: The Virginia Space Grant Consortium (VSGC) is a coalition of five Virginia colleges and universities, NASA, state educational agencies, Virginia’s Center for Innovative Technology, and other institutions representing diverse aerospace education and research.The VSGC acts as an umbrella organization, coordinating and developing aerospace-related and high technology educational and research efforts throughout the Commonwealth and connecting Virginia’s effort to a national community of shared aerospace interests.
Each year we award multiple community college scholarships: The Community College STEM Scholarship provides a one-year, non-renewable award of $2,000 for students enrolled full time (12 credit hours or more) at one of Virginia’s Community Colleges. Students must be majoring in a science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) field and be interested in pursuing a career that supports NASA’s mission including, but not limited to, careers in the aerospace sector.
Students must apply during their freshman year of community college enrollment for an award that will begin in the sophomore year. The number of awards is contingent on available funding. This is a competitive scholarship program based on academic merit funded by NASA and the Commonwealth of Virginia recognizing high academic achievement and promise.
- Encouraging students engaged in associate degree programs who are preparing for careers in technology fields essential to America’s industrial and technological competitiveness
- Increasing participation of underrepresented minorities, females and students with disabilities in aeronautics, space and high-technology fields.
- Implementing the goals of the Virginia Space Grant Consortium and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be currently enrolled full-time in a Virginia Community College and have completed at least one semester of coursework (minimum of 12 credit hours) at time of application
- Must be majoring in a STEM program of study
- Must have a grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Must expect to graduate by May, 2014 or later
It is easy to apply online! https://spacegrant.net/apps/?pk=vas2