ANNOUNCING THE 2017 SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM-VIRGINIA LATINO HIGHER EDUCATION NETWORK VALHEN
Applications are open for the 2017 VALHEN Scholarship Program.
Scholarship awards are for one year and will be paid directly to the recipient’s college or university to cover tuition, books, and/or fees.
October 3, 2016
Application available at:
Valhen Scholarship Program
Date: Friday, March 3, 2017
Event: VALHEN’s 2017 Encuentro
Place: Hosted by Virginia Commonwealth University
- Be of Latino/Hispanic heritage;
- Live in Virginia;
- Have a minimum 2.5 GPA (on a 4.0 scale);
- Be a graduate of a Virginia high school and either have been accepted to, or be already enrolled as a full-time student in, a degree-granting public or private Virginia college or university;
- Be able to demonstrate leadership through involvement in school and in the community, government, non-profit organization, work/job duties, or in another manner not mentioned here.
- Important Note: An essay of 300-500 words is required of all applicants.
Finalists will be required to submit:
- An official transcript
- Contact information for three references: 1) a teacher; 2) a peer; 3) a non-teacher (but not family member). References will be contacted by VALHEN.
- An interview may be required.
Winners will be contacted by VALHEN, and will be:
- Present at the March 2017 Encuentro Luncheon to receive the award. Winners will receive complimentary ticket for parent or guardian.
Winners will be required to sign a waiver allowing VALHEN to post his/her bio and photo on the VALHEN website and to use this information in a Press Release announcing the scholarship winners.
Muchas gracias for your continued support of our Latino/Hispanic youth in the Commonwealth!
The Virginia Latino Higher Education Network