CLRI Completes Spring Cohort with Executive Networking Event

The Spring 2024 Career and Leadership Institute (CLRI) was capped off on March 28 with the Executive Mentoring and Networking event!

A total of 24 students graduated from the Spring program, completing 7 workshops that covered topics including Leadership and Communication Skills, Building your Personal Brand, Technical Resume Writing, and Understanding Clearances and Vetting for Government Jobs.

The spring program covered 5 weeks starting in February and culminated in the Executive Mentoring and Networking event with 13 industry executives from Iron Mountain, HR Tec, Stack Infrastructure, CoreSite, AWS, A Foot In The Door, Vetting Konsultants, Micron, and Digital Realty.

Both mentors and students were recognized at the end of the event, and participants stayed an extra hour to network with industry partners.

Feedback from CLRI students included the following:

“I’m in the cybersecurity program and looking forward to entering the workforce. This event has been amazing; it helps break the ice, and all the questions I’ve been stressing about are being answered. Having come from the medical field, I’m entering this environment fresh. I was concerned about whether companies would hire people with no experience. Now, I understand what these companies are looking for in their employees, including certifications, and so on. It has been a fantastic experience.”

~ Kayley Radar, Cybersecurity

“I enjoyed speaking with professionals in groups along with other students because it prompted me to think of questions I hadn’t considered before. It allowed us to bounce ideas off one another.”

~ Arisiema Legasse

“I think it was cool that you could talk to industry leaders face-to-face. They were all very friendly, engaging, and interested in getting to know the students.”

~ Patrick Gilllespie, Data Center Operations

“This event was excellent as it provided a good opportunity to practice interacting with others. At NOVA, not many people engage in conversations; they attend their classes and leave. So, this experience was beneficial.”

~ Josh, Computer Science

“Andy Chavez said that working for a company is like a future relationship: the company wants you as much as you want them. I really liked this event.”

~ Nga Tran, Cloud Computing

Insights from industry professionals included the following:

Miguel Ramos, CMCO, Sr. Data Center Operations Manager, along with Zuri Johnson, Recruiter at CoreSite, an American Tower Company, shared their experiences through Q & A.

CoreSite operates 28 data centers across the United States, including three in Virginia.

Q. Which of your skills can be applied beyond your present job? 

Miguel explained from a manager’s viewpoint the importance of getting to know the people in your team. He emphasized, “It’s crucial to understand their personalities, the skills they bring to the table, their needs, and how to communicate with each individual uniquely. The way you perceive information may not be the same way they understand it. Having people skills can help you in any job.”

Miguel highlighted the importance of email organization in a data center, saying, “Every asset in the building, such as generators, chillers, UPS systems, and power panels, is monitored. It’s similar to getting an engine light in your car when you need an oil change. We receive alarms every day via email. I might get 500 alarms a day, translating to 500 emails that I have to sift through.”

Zuri shared, “Customer service skills are invaluable, regardless of your job. Another critical skill is project management, especially the ability to manage your time.”

Q. When you first started in the data center industry, was it overwhelming?

Miguel responded, “Anything new can be overwhelming at first, but once you find your rhythm, get trained, and understand your duties, it becomes manageable. We tend to be our own worst critics.”

Zuri added, “Yes, it was particularly overwhelming for me since it was my first experience in this environment. Choosing a company with a great culture and team is crucial.”

Michael Guttman, Strategic Program Manager at Micron Technology, a semiconductor manufacturing company based in Manassas and operating internationally, also provided insights.

Q. What makes work fun?

“It’s engaging to work with a group of people you get along with, where everyone values each other and can be themselves. Having a space where we can professionally joke around enhances the work environment.”

Q. Are there internship opportunities at Micron?

“Yes, we offer internships. I currently have an intern from NOVA on my team, who’s doing great. Although she’s majoring in cybersecurity, I’m assisting her in transitioning to mechatronics, which aligns more closely with our work.”

Q. Is your current position something you imagined doing when you were younger?

“Not in a million years. I assumed the highest position I would achieve was that of a senior technician. Managing projects worth a hundred million dollars was beyond my imagination.”

Q. What skills from your technician background helped you become a program manager?

“My military background provided me with leadership and technical skills. I’ve always been quick to learn and enjoy it, which opened many opportunities. This industry is challenging, and having a versatile skill set has kept me employed. Networking and building relationships with senior leaders are also crucial for success. Relationships are everything.”

Q. Have you ever felt like you didn’t fit into your role or experienced imposter syndrome?

“When I joined the STAR team, my knowledge of talent acquisition was limited, making me feel like an imposter. However, through extensive reading, online research, courses, and certification in management recruiting, I gained confidence. Starting a new position always comes with uncertainties, but taking smart risks and learning from mistakes, with support from your team, helps you progress.”

Stephen Jolly, Data Center Cluster Manager at Amazon Web Services (AWS), discussed career opportunities at AWS.

Q. What kind of career opportunities are available at AWS?

“AWS offers many entry-level positions that don’t require extensive experience. For instance, with a cybersecurity degree, you can start in an entry-level data center position, learning about the business while building a network to explore cybersecurity within AWS. I encourage students, even freshmen at Nova, to join us. We support their education and help them establish a professional network, creating a beneficial situation for everyone. We look for individuals who will contribute positively to our team.”