NOVA Students Showcase Award Winning Projects at the Fab Lab

The Fab Lab Showcase Exhibition was held on May 10 at the Trailside Atrium on the Manassas Campus. The event featured a wide array of projects by talented NOVA Makers, including engineering, art, and SkillsUSA students. The showcase demonstrated the creativity and technical skills of NOVA Makers, supported by the resources and collaborative spirit of the Fab Lab team.

Student highlights included:

Projects from Bryan Jimenez and Mihai Ziu, who are both NOVA Makers and Fab Lab employees:

Bryan created a BMO character inspired by Adventure Time. “I wanted to use my Raspberry Pi for an interesting project, so I decided to use the 3D printer in the Fab Lab to create something useful,” he shared.

Mihai has created many projects in the lab, including 3D-printed rocket parts and laser-cut kaleidoscopes. “I’m part of the Team America Rocketry Challenge. Certain parts need to meet specific requirements, so I use the 3D printer. I also use a machine to create stickers for my projects,” he said.

Designs from engineering students Ryan Malatesta, Julious Figueroa, Sherina Williams, Shane Beasley, Erick Moreno, and Gabriel Cohen:

Ryan, a member of the Engineering Club, is building a C-130 aircraft with several club members. They’ve been using a CNC machine in the Fab Lab. “Since we’re trying to create curves and different shapes, it’s been challenging. It’s a difficult process, but the Fab Lab team has been helping us,” he explained.

Julious designed a Wireless Power Transfer Through Electromagnetic Induction. “The idea came from a class prompt about wirelessly charging a phone with a shirt,” he explained.

Sherina, Shane, Erick, and Gabriel built a Vertical Lift Bridge-Track Tower. “Our project is a vertical lift bridge designed to adjust to a boat’s height. The motors lift using two pulleys with equal wiring on both sides, ensuring simultaneous movement. We encountered several problems but found solutions,” Sherina said.

Projects from NOVA Makers Nguyen Phuc Be and Rayna Roades:

Nguyen fabricated his Kayn HeartSteel Cosplay costume entirely in the Fab Lab. “One day my physics professor took us on a tour of the Fab Lab. Afterwards, I became a NOVA Maker and have learned a lot in the Fab Lab,” he said. Nguyen won the People’s Choice/Favorite Project and received $50 Fab Lab credit for future projects.

Rayna said, “All the adults in the Fab Lab, engineering, and STEM department have been so helpful. I enjoy collaborating, especially in places like the Fab Lab. Even though I’m still learning, like with 3D printing, I find it exciting. Whenever I need help, there’s always someone willing to assist, and I’m more than happy to return the favor by helping others with their projects.” Rayna designed a Cyborg Hand, Arcane Tree, and Forest Wonders.

Artwork from Dakota Rhodes, Madeleine Walter, Danny Fonseca, and Diana Maida:

Dakota, who is taking computer science classes and wants to get into robotics, shared, “I’d like to use my art skills to create robots and AI programs. I’m passionate about the environment and aim to develop a program that monitors and counteracts pollution. The Mechanization of Earth represents environmental preservation and the impact of technology on the planet,” he added.

Madeleine and her mom, a seamstress, designed a wearable art piece using the vinyl printer and created The Goblin using the 3D printer in the Fab Lab. “I’ve found I really like using the Fab Lab and doing all that kind of stuff, so I might do some physical art, too,” she said.

Danny shared, “I made my 3D art piece in the Fab Lab. I called it “Embrace” because it’s about embracing the ugly parts of yourself.”

Diana utilized a 3D printer in the Fab Lab to create her project, Sãkúron from Hêlslìā. “These are all things that I’ve created in my head,” she said.

SkillsUSA members: Lauren Traversa, Mateo Aguilar, Nyan Prkash, Heidy Sandoval, Alait Mesfune, Nick Cowen, Jonathan Solomon, Kanykei Korosheva, Maddie Gebremichael, and Ben Yam. (Several of these teams won gold at the Virginia State Leadership Conference and are heading to nationals).

Lauren, Mateo, and Nyan designed and fabricated their Automatic Dog Trainer for the SkillsUSA competition. They also submitted it to the Fab Lab’s design challenge. Lauren explained, “We didn’t include CAD designs, only pictures, which weren’t specific enough about the design and implementation. That was our mistake. We were so busy that we submitted it too quickly.”

Heidy and Alait submitted their commercial drone. They designed a course that replicated the state course, complete with different pads, balls, and hoops. “Mary and Justin helped us a lot in the Fab Lab,” Heidy said.

Nick designed a Papi-Beetleweight combat robot and Lego Battlebots. “I used the Fab Lab’s superior printers to 3D-print components and make aluminum sides for the robots. I made one robot almost entirely in the Fab Lab, and it competed well in a competition. The Fab Lab printers are so much better than what I have at home,” he shared.

Jonathan designed an Augmented Reality: A Way to Measure Without a Ruler. “The Fab Lab team helped so much with 3D printing. I had never used Fusion 360 or 3D printed anything before this. I couldn’t have done this project without them,” he shared.

Kanykei, Maddie, and Ben created an RC Airplane. Kanykei said, “The equipment and materials in the Fab Lab were very useful for our project.”

Professor Westerhoff also participated in the showcase with a project he designed for students in his Calculus 1 and Calculus 2 honor classes. “Inspired by a book on airfoils, I designed a project to connect calculus concepts with real-world applications,” he explained. “This project helped students see the practical application of calculus and enhanced their understanding of integral calculus and numerical methods,” he added.