NOVA Student to DCO Workforce Spotlight: David Evers

“I feel fortunate to have participated in the Career & Leadership Readiness Institute (CLRI) as part of NOVA’s Information and Engineering Technologies (IET) program. The people I’ve met along the way and the opportunities I’ve been given have been invaluable. I highly endorse NOVA’s IET program.”

David Evers recently graduated from NOVA with an A.S. in Computer Science (CS) and will pursue a 4-year degree in CS starting this fall at George Mason University.

David was interested in technology right from the start. “I remember being young and enjoying the outdoors, but once I came inside, I realized the vast possibilities computers offered. Plus, there’s abundant growth in the computer science field, with promising opportunities on the horizon,” he shared.

Like numerous technology students at NOVA seeking to advance their professional skills, David completed the Career & Leadership Readiness Institute (CLRI). David found the program insightful, valuing personal stories, leadership insights, and career advice from visiting industry professionals. The curriculum emphasized essential soft skills, such as crafting an effective elevator pitch, building a strong personal brand, and developing a strategic resume. Particularly beneficial was guidance from Tom Gerencer from Gerencer Creative on aligning resume keywords with search algorithms.

Beyond academics, David enjoyed CLRI’s social activities, including a kickoff at Stack Infrastructure, networking with industry professionals, a golf tournament, happy hours, and involvement in the Data Center Young Professionals group.

David recommends the CLRI program to his IET peers, praising its effectiveness and positive impact. “It broadened my vantage point—I can see further,” he said. “I appreciated the program’s concise, solid, and meaningful information. I believe it builds the confidence and reassurance necessary for entering the workforce.”

In addition, he acquired hands-on experience in fiber optics and communications technology through his AFCOM internships at National Technologies (NTI) and IES Communications. At NTI, he was involved in fiber optic installations at a Microsoft data center in Leesburg, focusing on both inside and outside plant fiber runs. His experience at IES Communications included shadowing project managers in Chantilly and visiting various sites, such as a CyrusOne data hall and the Gainesville Crossing Data Center, where he learned about structured cabling project management.

Reflecting on his CLRI experience, he expressed gratitude for Andy Chavez, a NOVA IET Career and Technical Education Coordinator, and Sedrick Settle, an IET Career Advisor who organize CLRI. David described them by saying, “Mr. Chavez and Mr. Settle were great mentors throughout the program, approachable, friendly, and gregarious.”

David also singled out STACK Infrastucture VP TJ Ciccone, whom he met during the tour of STACK. “Walking alongside Mr. Ciccone was inspiring. Witnessing the data center’s operations, where servers work in perfect harmony to maintain 100% uptime, felt almost magical.”

David is currently employed at IES Communications at a Wells Fargo data center where he’s working on the fiber optic and CAT 6 structured cabling. He’s enjoying the experience with IES because he’s able to learn more about cabling, systems integration, and team collaboration within data center infrastructure.

His day-to-day work consists of pulling fiber optic/CAT 6 cable, patching fiber to the Corning EDGE cassettes (inside the rack enclosures), and labeling the fiber routes between rack enclosures. He’s learning a lot from his two superintendents, Malik Brokenburr and Jordan Gladney, as well as his project manager, Eric Younts.

His advice to NOVA students is “keep showing up, even if you’re not feeling your best self. When you continuously show up for yourself and for the people on your team, it speaks volumes about your character.”

David also participated in Amideast’s CASE Program in Tunisia with NOVA’s Study Abroad program, where he studied Tunisian post-colonial society, labor and migration, race and colorism, feminism and LGBTQIA communities, and culture.

“It was a wonderful experience where I met some great people in Tunisia as well as American students alongside me studying abroad. I would love for other NOVA students to be future CASE participants.”