Bridge Program Highlights Summer 2024

Many HS Students Set to Attend NOVA This Fall Following Successful 2-Week Summer Bridge Programs

This summer, local high school students participated in intensive two-week bridge programs offered by NOVA’s IET department. Designed for both rising and graduating seniors, these programs provided a unique opportunity to explore the fields of Engineering Technology (ET), Data Center Operations (DCO), Information Technology (IT), and Computer Science (CS), all while earning college credit.

NOVA’s IT/CS program, guided by Business Administration Management Professor Cameisha Chin and IET Project Manager Dr. Chris Russell, attracted 31 students. Meanwhile, 36 students enrolled in the ET/DCO program, led by Career and Technical Education Coordinator Justin Owen.

Participants engaged in a variety of hands-on activities and gained real-world insights through industry site visits to places like Micron, George Mason University, Iron Mountain, QTS, and STACK.

“Micron is a leader in semiconductor chip manufacturing. During the tour, students receive an overview of several topics,” Justin said.

“First, the speaker introduces Micron and explains their work, including the process of creating a wafer and identifying their primary customer base, which is the automotive sector. Next, they discuss employment and internship opportunities. They also bring out a panel of 4-6 employees to participate in a Q&A session with the students. Micron understands that it’s more effective to answer the questions of their future workforce rather than lecture for an hour. By engaging with students where they are, Micron helps them achieve their employment goals,” he added.

Student feedback was overwhelmingly positive. The following comments come from students who will attend NOVA’s cybersecurity program this fall:

Brian Resau, graduate of Heritage High School

“I’ve learned a lot about cybersecurity, generative AI, Linux, building computers, and college. It’s like a sample of everything. The site visit to Micron was a real-world experience. They’re hiring people and training them, which gives me hope for finding a job in IT.”

Javier Martinez, graduate of Hylton High School

“I’ve enjoyed it and wish it was longer. A highlight was the tour of George Mason University. We talked to engineering students who built robots, and it was cool and interesting to see different technology disciplines.”

The following comments are from rising seniors who plan to attend NOVA’s cybersecurity program in the fall of 2025:

Leiben Ezana, rising senior at Lake Braddock High School

“It’s been a lot of fun, especially the first week because it involved plenty of hands-on, challenging, and insightful assignments. It also gives you a taste of college life. If you’re interested in the IT field, you’ll definitely learn a lot. I’ve learned something new every day.”

SaVanna Jackson, rising senior at Woodbridge High School

“Since I’m interested in cybersecurity, attending this program made sense. The IT field is growing rapidly, and it’s always going to be in demand. It’s the future. I’ve enjoyed creating a website with HTML code, taking apart a computer and putting it back together, meeting new friends, and more. It’s excellent because it allows you to try different things, which helps you figure out what suits you and what doesn’t.”

Sheetaltal Stalin, rising senior at Marshall High School

“It gave me hands-on experience and a sense of what it’s like to take a college-level course. It’s great for students who don’t know much about the IT field, as well as for those who already know they want to enter it.”

Feedback from future NOVA computer science students:

Cat Tran, graduate of Brentsville High School:

“I loved summer bridge.The professors were amazing, I met new people, and had a productive, fun time. I enjoy learning about artificial intelligence, computer science, cybersecurity, and IT. When I talk to experts in the field, such as Dr. Russell, I find those complicated subjects really interesting.”

Omer Omer, graduate of Potomac High School:

“These past two weeks have been an amazing experience. I’ve explored tech and tech career paths in more depth, learned how to break into computer codes, and more. I enjoyed the trip to GMU because that’s where I plan to transfer after NOVA, and learning about the different types of engineering fields at Micron.”

Feedback from a future NOVA IT student:

Brian Miriashtiani, graduate of Heritage High School:

“It was extremely interesting to take a look into Micron, one of the biggest IT companies in the United States.”

These programs are part of NOVA’s ongoing commitment to preparing the next generation of leaders in the ever-evolving fields of technology and engineering.