ET Career Scholars Complete Bridge Program, Start Fall Classes

22 ET Career Scholars Complete the Summer Bridge Program

The inaugural cohort of ET Career Scholars began their year-long. tuition free journey at NOVA by completing a 4-week bridge program before fall classes begin.

For the first two weeks of the bridge, students engaged in hands-on learning in topics like AC-DC principles, pneumatic systems, and mechatronics. During the AC-DC lab students were able to create a simple circuit with lightbulbs, batteries, and fans to better understand the flow of electricity. They also used pneumatic and mechatronic trainers to show how compressed air, and PLC’s (programmable logic controllers) play a role in many of the automated manufacturing facilities we see today.

Additionally, to help better understand how companies incorporate these types of systems, ET Career Scholars also toured STACK Infrastructure data center and semiconductor manufacturer giant Micron. It was during the tours students could then relate what they had learned in the classroom to a real-world application. Students also received college credit, and a head start into the fall by completing SDV-101 and OSHA-10.

During the second half of the bridge program, ET Career Scholars focused on interpersonal skills. Students were trained in skills like professionalism, communication, public speaking, and self-development.

Students also received their NFPA (national fire protection association) 70E electrical safety certification. Finally, to ensure students success we spent time reinforcing math concepts from fractions to trigonometry.

Many students described ET Career Scholars as an exciting, hands-on, rigorous program designed to help them navigate their career path. Some have already decided the pathway they want to follow, whether it’s DCO or engineering technology. Some are attempting both, which will make them even more valuable job candidates in the industry.

Students are currently taking fall classes, and IET team members will be working to mentor them as they need help. Students will be finishing up their certificates in the spring where they will also be preparing for internships at companies within the region.

ET Career Scholars eagerly shared their experiences in the program so far:

Nichole Luna, a graduate of South Lakes High School, applied to the program because it relates to electrical engineering, her desired field of study. She also thought it would be fun to learn about semiconductors and data science.

“My dad is an engineer, and he has some breadboard circuits at his workplace,” she said. “I’ve always wondered how they work, so I was excited to use one. It’s been super fun using the trainers for electrical engineering and thematics. I think my favorite part has been visiting Micron and meeting the interns. STACK was interesting, too.

“My dad has encouraged me to go into engineering and says there need to be more females in the field. This program has been very helpful—I’m learning about many opportunities. It’s motivating and supportive, making me want to work even harder. I would recommend this program to everyone.”

Nau Hernandez, another graduate of South Lakes High School, saw the program as a great opportunity because he’s interested in the IT field. Additionally, seeing his sister recently graduate from NOVA inspired him to follow in her footsteps.

“This is a great program. I’ve been introduced to many new possibilities—fields I hadn’t even considered as job options. At Micron, I learned more about breadboard circuitry, which is used for basic wiring. Micron has a great atmosphere where people support each other. Interns shared some of their fun experiences.

“STACK is enormous. When we entered the building, we were shown blueprints and the size of the rooms holding all of this equipment. We also learned about the UPS system—just one system and how the technology works for that. I found it very interesting, especially since I didn’t know anything about data center operations before. I could see myself working at either company. I’m really enjoying this program.”

Mileydi Villalobos, a recent graduate of Manassas Park High School, has been interested in computers since childhood. In fact, she once took her dad’s laptop apart, took STEM classes in middle school, studied mechatronics in high school, and helped with IT issues at school. She was excited to apply for the program and has had a great experience so far.

“Mr. Owen had us jump right into things, which was great. He has a lot of experience. The teachers here are awesome—they’re very knowledgeable. It’s cool to have different teachers while staying with the same cohort. It’s encouraging and empowering, especially since there are several females in the cohort.

“The tours of STACK and Micron were eye-opening and helpful in figuring out which IT path to pursue. The internships would be beneficial. I’d like to one day work nights at a data center. I could see myself working at STACK; the benefits sound great, and the people were friendly, including TJ Ciccone. I could also see myself working at Micron with microelectronics.”

Fernando Cueva, a graduate of Garfield High School, gravitates towards math and took computer information systems and cybersecurity in high school.

He shared, “This program is an incredible opportunity. Students who are interested in IT will be even more enthusiastic after attending. It’s a great starting point.

“I enjoyed the tour of STACK. TJ Ciccone was very transparent—if you asked him a question, he gave you a straight answer. There are a lot of NOVA students working there, which proves that the data center operations certification is effective. Plus, TJ is a professor at NOVA. I can see myself working in the data center field.”

Ben Pham, a graduate of Parkview High School, shared, “This is a great program that introduces you to many opportunities and allows you to meet new people all the time, so you’re always learning something new. I’ve enjoyed meeting people, touring industries, networking, and making connections.

“STACK seems like a very nice, professional company—it’s unlike anything I was used to. I could see myself working there. Micron was cool, too. It’s really impressive.”

Unity Reed High School graduate Hannah Duenes’ former engineering teacher encouraged her to apply for the program.

She shared, “Mr. Owen is a great teacher. I learned so much more about engineering and discovered that I’m most interested in hands-on engineering technology.

“We learned a lot about the mechanical and hands-on aspects at Micron. Seeing how things work on the inside was really cool—it reminded me of the movie Wall-E. STACK seems like a great place to work. TJ Ciccone gave us a tour and taught us about data center operations. He’s really fun and engaging, and I like the way he teaches with diagrams and explanations.”

Sean Williams, a graduate of Battlefield High School, applied to the program because he wanted to learn something new.

He said, “I’m enjoying the program and learning about electronics, pneumatics, how circuits work, and how every piece has a part in a system and how important that is in making things function around us. I’m looking forward to learning more about it.”

Currently, 20 ET Career Scholars are working toward obtaining NOVA’s Data Center Operations Career Studies Certificate (CSC) or an Engineering Technology CSC focusing on the semiconductor field. In 2025, they will receive a guaranteed interview for an internship with a data center or semiconductor industry partner, all at no cost to them.

More openings will be available for the 2025-26 academic year, with applications opening in early 2025. If you are a rising senior or have already graduated high school, fill out the interest form linked below, and we’ll keep you updated about the next application cycle.

ET Career Scholars Interest Form 2025