Go(ing) Pro

Check out our last post from student contributor, Annie Birge.  We wish her the best on her next endeavor at University of Virginia.  A Pathways  graduate and student leader, Annie has left an indelible mark on this campus and Team TILT especially.  In this post, she contemplates the benefits of Go(ing) Pro.

go_pro

I have a special place in my heart dedicated to photography. Not like I’m really good or anything but I have always loved taking pictures. I love art in general but I have always gravitated toward photography because I feel like my fingers are incapable of painting or drawing what my brain wants to produce. Yeah I know what you’re thinking… Art has no boundaries, no rigid rules or expectations but that mantra doesn’t offer me any solace when I look at my doodles and realize they look like the work of a kindergartner. I guess my self-conscious mindset will always in some ways prevent me from feeling totally satisfied with whatever I produce, especially by pen, pencil, or brush.

But cameras, on the other hand, have been able to provide a necessary artistic outlet for me- free from the pressures of wobbly lines and bad shading. Instead of forcing my hands to follow my imagination and create a picture, a photograph takes only a click of a button. With that very click comes a snapshot of time, a capturing of emotion, that offers your mind a conversation they say is worthy of a thousand words. Cameras are so rampant in today’s society and culture, we photograph nearly every moment of our lives and I mean every moment. Including all of our special occasions, be them weddings, proms, or (of course) all of our gains at the gym. We photograph our nights out with friends, birthdays, and vacations. We post pictures of ourselves, definitely some more than others (come on, admit it, we all have that one friend on IG who will #selfie back to back to back). And don’t forget about the “foodgasms” we undeniably have from all of the #foodporn we scroll through in a day. Read more